SIOP Placement Center
Adam Hilliard & Matt O’Connell
“Not only was I able to obtain a job by participating in the Placement Center, but I was able to network with other I-O psychology professionals. As a candidate who was finishing up graduate school, I did not have many professional connections. I think that it is safe to say that my professional network tripled because of my involvement in the Placement Center. I was able to interview with multiple organizations from all over the country without spending multiple days traveling back and forth, while networking with a variety of professionals at various stages in their career.”
-Brittany VanArkel – Former Placement Center Participant
Key Features of the Placement Center
- Placement Center is an opportunity for job seekers and employers to mutually schedule times to meet and discuss positions. Placement Center does not schedule interviews or screen candidates but does administer the job description/resumé database, registration for the service, and the space used at the conference.
- The job description/resumé database features new searching functionality to more efficiently match job seekers and employers before, during, and after the conference.
- All resumés and job postings are online—no paper copies will be available. It is to your advantage to register early and conduct as much of your search as possible online prior to the conference. Job seekers and employers can access the Placement Center database online through the SIOP Web site once they have registered for the service. We encourage you to set up interview times in the placement center before the conference.
- A bank of computers will be available in the Placement Center to search the database during the conference. These will be offered on a first-come, first-serve basis with time restrictions imposed during busy periods. If you have a laptop, we recommend that you bring it to the conference so you can conduct searches in the convenience of your hotel room.
Note: SIOP’s JobNet and the Placement Center are separate services. Registration in JobNet cannot be substituted for registration in the Placement Center. If you are currently registered in JobNet and want to utilize the Placement Center, you must register for this service through the conference Web site.
Registration and Key Points
Preregistration for the Placement Center is through the SIOP conference registration Web site. Some important points:
- To use the Placement Center, you must be registered.
- Placement Center is similar to JobNet in look and feel, but is a short term option which comes at a greatly reduced cost for employers and applicants.
- Job seekers and employers will enter resumés and/or job descriptions into password-protected databases. You will be able to conduct searches of the database and identify the jobs or candidates that best fit your needs.
- You can conduct searches and print resumés/job descriptions until June 30, 2013.
- Bring extra copies of your resumés or job descriptions with you to the conference because hard copies are not available on site, and printing capability is limited.
- For Job Seekers that have subscribed to the Placement Center, please make sure that you select “Active” status to display your resumé online for employers to see. If you wish to remain anonymous, do not enter any resumé information. Your status should remain the default status of “Inactive.”
- We recommend that you register at least 2 weeks prior to the conference to allow job seekers/employers sufficient time to search the database and print out your job descriptions/resumés. However, you can register at any time up to and during the conference.
Who May Register for Placement Services
SIOP’s Placement Center is open to member and nonmember job seekers who are registered for the conference. Organizations and universities may submit position openings for which I-O training and experience are relevant. Listings may be for full-time, part-time, or internship positions.
The Placement Center registration fee for SIOP Student Affiliate job seekers is $40, for SIOP Member job seekers $45, and for any nonmember job seekers $100 (including students who are not SIOP Student Affiliates). The employer registration fee is $200 and covers up to four (4) positions. No refunds will be given for cancellations.
Helpful Information for Job Seekers and Employers
Visit the Placement Center section of the SIOP conference Web site for:
- Information on using the Placement Center;
- Useful tips on resumé writing and interviewing that may be particularly helpful for new job seekers of applied and academic positions;
- Tips for employers on writing job descriptions.
Placement Center Hours
||3:00pm - 5:30pm
||8:00am - 5:30pm
||8:00am - 5:30pm
||8:00am - 12:00pm
Access to the Database Without Participating in the Placement Center
An option is available to those interested in accessing the job seeker or employer databases without participating in the Placement Center. Access to the Web site is available 1 week after the conference through June 30, 2013. The cost is $150 to access resumés and $40 to access job postings. Paper copies of the resumés and job postings are not available.
Contact the SIOP Administrative Office at 419-353-0032 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click to go to the Placement Center