This is an advanced professional supervisory position responsible for the support of the City of Lakeland's Civil Service Office. Work activities involve creating assessment processes for City of Lakeland hiring authorities; as well as providing general assistance and counseling to internal and external customers with regard to employment, selection, testing, interviewing, and career development. Employee is expected to function with a high degree of independence. Work is conducted under the general guidance and supervision of the HR Manager, Staffing & Compensation.
1. Responsible for supervising, planning and coordinating work assignments of direct reports
2. Develops and maintains effective relationships with other professionals in the testing profession and with the general public, applicants, employees, supervisors and managers
3. Develops legally defensible, fair, and objective selection processes, including content valid knowledge tests, situational judgment tests, performance tests, assessment centers and structured interviews
4. Administers the provisions of the Civil Service Act as contained in the Charter of the City of Lakeland and embodied in the respective rules and regulations
5. Counsels potential and current employees concerning employment opportunities with the City
6. Responsible for City wide testing, evaluation and assessment center program utilizing professionally accepted testing procedures
7. Conducts job analyses, develops competency models and coordinates with subject matter experts to insure evaluation programs are crafted that identify the best qualified individuals for promotion and employment
8. Analyzes statistical data to determine test effectiveness and ensures appropriate adjustments are made.
9. Ensures that all tests are evaluated for adverse impact; makes adjustments to test cut scores, as needed, to ensure test fairness within the constraints of proper test construction
10. Maintains current knowledge of state and federal employment laws and guidelines
11. Identifies requirements, determines appropriate courses of action and organizes data to prepare various reports and documents
12. Develops validity reports for selection and promotional exams; ensures the development of validity reports by subordinate for their selection processes
13. Assists in the preparation of the departmental budget
14. Analyzes and determines required equipment and resources needed to conduct department activities
15. Develops and maintains necessary test computer files
16. Maintains confidentiality and security of test material
1. Counsels employees regarding skill development needs and career options
2. Formulates alternative policies for the department utilizing both knowledge of City requirements and sound City charter and ordinance provisions
3. Performs related work as required
Please review the HR Specialist - Assessment Competency Model prior to applying. The link to this document is located on our website www.lakelandgov.net/employmentservices at the bottom of the Job Opportunities page.