Sandia National Laboratories
Industry, Gov., Consulting
Postdoctoral Appointee - Industrial/Organizational
About the Organization
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation with major facilities in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Livermore, California. We are a world-class team of scientists, engineers, technologists, post docs, and visiting researchers all focused on cutting-edge technology, ranging from homeland defense, global security, biotechnology, and environmental preservation to energy and combustion research, computer security, and nuclear defense. To learn more, please visit our website at www.sandia.gov.
About the Job
Sandia National Laboratories is searching for a Postdoctoral Appointee for the Cognitive Systems and Cognitive Modeling Department located in Albuquerque, NM. The candidate selected for this position will be required to obtain and maintain a DOE-granted “Q” security clearance.
The Cognitive Systems and Cognitive Modeling Department broadly conducts research and development in cognition, human-machine interface technologies and brain inspired computing. Examples include computational modeling of neural and cognitive processes, cognitive software agents, automated knowledge capture, and cognition-based training technologies. Some of our core technologies emulate and augment human cognition using algorithms ranging from machine learning to detailed physiologically-based models of perception and cognition. We are a member of the Cognitive Science & Technology (CS&T) community within Sandia, and partner with strategic universities and industry to complement our understanding of the human and social sciences. We are engaged in a broad spectrum of mission areas around the Laboratory, such as Defense Systems & Assessments; International, Homeland & Nuclear Security; and Energy, Climate & Infrastructure Security.
Sandia National Laboratories is seeking applicants for a Post-doctoral position in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. The position is expected to last approximately 18 months, although the possibility for successful post-doctoral appointees to apply for employment as full time members of the technical staff could exist
The successful candidate will have expertise in devising methods for effective personnel selection for complex job environments. Specifically, the key question the researcher in this position must help to address is whether a current job title, which comprises approximately 13 very different duties, should continue as a single job in which all workers are cross-trained or whether those 13 duties should be broken into different specialized job titles. Expertise in devising performance metrics for poorly defined tasks (e.g., effective customer interaction) is needed, as is the ability to identify appropriate measures for personnel selection (e.g., personality inventories, cognitive skills assessments, etc.).
• Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
• Demonstrated expertise designing and validating methods for personnel selection in multifaceted, complex jobs
• Demonstrated expertise in statistical data analysis
• Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team to deliver a product of immediate use to an operationally-focused customer
• Ability to focus on customer needs and to deliver products in a timely manner
• Ability to explain scientific literature, experimental design, and empirical outcomes to scientists and non-scientists with a variety of backgrounds both verbally and in writing
• US citizen with the ability and willingness to obtain a security clearance
• Ability to travel within the continental United States to conduct work in the field
• Previous work experience with operationally-focused, dynamic customers
• Experience performing discovery activities with customers to specify the scope of work to be performed
• Experience working with clients to bring scientific rigor to environments that do not lend themselves easily to such rigor
• Willingness to step somewhat outside the bounds of prior training to bring novel solutions to bear
• Publication/presentation track record in refereed Industrial/Organizational Psychology journals and conferences
To learn more about this position and to apply online, please visit us at http://www.sandia.gov/careers/search-openings.html, click Advanced Search and reference Job Opening ID Number: 642283.
U.S. Citizenship Normally Required. Equal Opportunity Employer. M/F/D/V.