TO: SIOP Media Resources
FROM: SIOP Public Policy/Visibility Committee
RE: Describing SIOP to the Media
Reporters and writers are seeking out more and more SIOP members to add expert commentary to news stories. These are great opportunities to share our expertise with the general public and provide greater visibility for SIOP and its members. As one of more than 450 SIOP members listed as a Media Resource on the SIOP Web site, you may be called directly by a member of the media at any time. Here are a few suggestions to help you if the media contacts you:
1. Respond promptly when contacted by a member of the press. They usually have very short deadlines and may not be able to wait days or even hours before their story has to go to press.
2. Mention that you are a member of SIOP and take the opportunity to educate the media about what I-O psychology is and what SIOP is. Below are some talking points that might be useful when you talk with the press.
3. Industrial-Organizational (I-O) psychologists specialize in improving the performance of businesses and government organizations by improving the performance and well-being of individuals, teams, and groups.
4. The Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP) is an international group of 6,000 I-O psychologists working as researchers, consultants, faculty members, and corporate managers. SIOP is a diverse group with one overarching interest, improving the effectiveness of people and organizations.
5. Thousands of companies and organizations have recognized the value that I-O psychologists bring to bear on making workplace improvements such as selecting highly qualified people, measuring employee performance, enhancing the quality of the work environment, developing training and development programs, and improving employee retention.
6. SIOP has a website at www.siop.org. There is a special section for media. Just click on “Media” for more information about SIOP and to gain access to a database of 450 SIOP members who have expertise in different aspects of improving organizational and employee performance.
7. If you are quoted in the media, please send a copy of the story to the SIOP business office. SIOP is interested in collecting and sharing stories about our members in the news.
We appreciate all of your efforts to raise the visibility of SIOP and the awareness of the value of our profession to current and potential users of our knowledge and services.
Return to Media Page