Come to the Inaugural SIOP Practitioner Speed Mentoring Event!
SIOP welcomes all interested practitioners to join an accomplished panel of mentors at the first speed-mentoring event, to be held at SIOP’s 25th Annual Conference!
The speed mentoring will take place Friday, April 9, 2010, from 5 – 6 p.m. in room 406/407 of the Hilton Atlanta.
At the Speed Mentoring Event, practitioners will have the opportunity to participate in two separate 20-minute roundtable discussions with one or two seasoned professionals on pre-determined topics of interest. This event is a terrific opportunity for practitioners to seek guidance, knowledge, and wisdom from mentors who have “been there and done that.”
Topics that will be discussed, and the mentors who will lead the discussions, include:
1. Making Career Transitions (academic to industry; I/O Psychologist to HR Generalist; Corporate Consultant to Independent Consultant; etc.) - Led by Ed Salas (University of Central Florida) and Nancy Tippins (Valtera Corporation).
2. A Realistic Preview of Working as an I/O Practitioner - Led by Rich Cober (Marriott International) and Alana Cober (Transportation Security Administration).
3. Communicating I/O Psychology to Clients and Decision Makers - Led by Doug Reynolds (Development Dimensions International).
4. Navigating Challenging I/O Practice Minefields (e.g., legal and ethical challenges; political dilemmas; when organizational requests conflict with sound practice principles) - Led by Mort McPhail (Valtera Corporation).
5. How Things "Really" Work and Get Done Within Organizations - Led by Lise Saari (New York University) and William Shepherd (Huntington Bank).
6. Differences, Advantages, and Disadvantages, of In-House Consulting/Work vs. Working in an External Consulting Firm - Led by Gary Latham (University of Toronto).
7. Gaining Credibility and Influence, and Working With, Senior Managers, Executives, CEOs, and other Organizational Decision Makers - Led by Rob Silzer (HR Assessment and Development / Baruch - CUNY) and Sandra Davis (MDA Leadership Consulting).
To participate in this event, you must be a SIOP Member or Fellow engaged in professional practitioner activities. We have limited space and only 70 openings for this event, so please reserve your space as soon as possible. To sign up for this event, respond via email to Mentoring@siop.org with your NAME, EMPLOYER/ORGANIZATION, and THE TOP FOUR (4) TOPICS you would like to receive mentoring on, in rank order. We will reserve a maximum of ten (10) participants for each topic, and these will be filled on a first come-first serve basis. Upon receipt of your request, you will receive confirmation of your participation.
The speed mentoring event is the first step in implementing the SIOP Practitioner Mentoring Program, which also includes Group Mentoring and Virtual Mentoring events that will be introduced later in the year. Be sure to visit us at the SIOP Mentoring Booth in the Exhibition Hall to learn more about this program.
If you have any questions about the Speed Mentoring Event, or the SIOP Practitioner Mentoring Program in general, please contact Mark Poteet at email@example.com.