Preconference Workshops Offer Practical Tools for Professional Development
In today’s workplace, professional development and continuous learning are necessities for I-O practitioners. SIOP’s preconference workshops offer an excellent value with relevant topics, qualified experts, CE credit opportunities, and practical tools professionals can take back to their organizations.
Twelve workshops will be offered Wednesday, April 10, the day before SIOP’s 28th Annual Conference begins. Attendees find workshops to be one of the most valuable aspects of conference attendance, and space is limited, so register today to ensure you can attend the workshops of your choice!
|Register for the preconference workshops here.|
Here are five reasons you should plan to attend:
- Professional development. Workshops are designed to be a crash course in a particular topic that is important to I-O professionals. As a result, the preconference workshops are the perfect choice for professionals wanting gain more in-depth knowledge on specific I-O topics that are relevant to their current or future roles or that they simply want to learn more about. Topics range from integrated talent management to selection and assessment to coaching to building your I-O brand in your organization, providing an in-depth learning experience on key issues organizations are facing today.
- Networking. Each workshop covers a very specific topic within I-O psychology and is facilitated by recognized experts in that topic area. Because workshops are designed to be small, interactive learning experiences, attendees have a great opportunity to network with other workshop attendees and leading experts in the field who share their interests.
Attendees indicate that one of the most important benefits of workshop attendance is the opportunity to network with others who share their interests and may even be facing similar challenges in their organizations. Not only do workshops provide an opportunity to network with others on a more intimate basis than the conference, learning often extends beyond the workshops themselves to learning from other attendees and top professionals in the field through these networking opportunities.
- Expert interaction. The workshops offer an educational experience provided by top professionals in the field of I-O. Workshops are interactive experiences where these experts demonstrate how to practically apply I-O concepts in organizations through case studies and activities. These experts provide insights into what works in organizations, what doesn’t, and key considerations. During the workshop and through the networking opportunities at lunch and the evening reception, attendees also have the opportunity to ask these experts questions (“pick their brains”) about the specifics of the workshop or related challenges you might be facing in your organization.
- Tangible takeaways. Workshops are focused on the practical application of I-O concepts in organizations, and the presenters highlight tools, techniques, and skills that have been shown to work in practice. As a result, attendees walk away from each workshop with tools and information they can use and/or implement immediately in their own organizations. Because workshops are longer than a typical conference session, presenters can dig into a concept and provide additional detail information about how to apply the knowledge and ideas discussed during the workshop in organizations.
Continuing education credits. In addition to being informative and offering networking opportunities, the workshops also offer something more—continuing education credits. Please click here for complete CE details.
Date and Schedule
All workshops are half-day sessions and will be presented twice, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, to give participants the chance to arrange their schedules around the workshops they would most like to participate in.
The workshops take place on Wednesday, April 10, 2013, the day before the regular program of the SIOP conference begins. The schedule is as follows:
||7:15 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.|
||8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
||11:30 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.|
||12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.|
||1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|Reception (Social Hour)
||5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.|
Full Day (Two) Workshops:
- SIOP Members and Affiliates: $400
- Nonmembers of SIOP: $650
Fees include all registration materials for two workshop sessions, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon snack, and reception. Additional guest tickets for the receptions may be purchased at the door for $50.
Something NEW for 2013! For the first time, we are offering an opportunity to register for one workshop (either morning or afternoon) at a reduced cost of $300 for members and $485 for non-members. Because workshop attendees find the networking opportunities available during workshops to be one of the most valuable aspects of attending, the registration fee includes lunch as well as the reception. For those of you who find it difficult to attend a full day of workshops, this option should give you more flexibility to attend, learn, and network!
Half Day (One) Workshop
- SIOP Members and Affiliates: $300
- Nonmembers of SIOP: $485
Fees include all registration materials for one workshop, lunch, and reception. Additional guest tickets for the receptions may be purchased at the door for $50.
Choose your favorite workshops and register today!