Over the years, SIOP conference attendees have submitted and presented thousands of well-crafted, insightful sessions at our annual conference. However, when it comes to a comprehensive understanding about what has been presented and by whom, we lack visibility and insight. In the past, searching each archived conference program separately was our only way to review prior sessions. Well, we have wonderful news—we now have a tool, the SIOP Program Explorer, to show SIOP conference content across years, in an interactive view!
This year, a new taskforce called the SIOP Content Initiative (SCi) was created to increase visibility, application, and influence of SIOP-presented insights. Our SCi Team of I-O psychologists includes: Tiffany Poeppelman (Chair), Bo Armstrong, Nikki Blacksmith, Jess Thornton, and Evan Sinar. Our mission is to elevate SIOP conference content and presenter research before, during, and after our annual event through SIOP social media channels by providing visibility and translation to outside communities and within SIOP.
What is the SIOP Program Explorer?
As part of that mission, we’ve created the SIOP Program Explorer, a visual, exploratory dashboard to provide members—and our broader stakeholder and partner networks—insight into the 7,803 sessions presented at the SIOP Annual Conferences from 2008 to 2016 (we’ll also be updating it to include future years). The SIOP Program Explorer can be used to, among other applications:
- View SIOP sessions using a defined parameter (e.g., author, topic, year)
- Search the SIOP sessions by combining multiple parameters (e.g., year AND topic)
- Compare the different parameters (e.g., topic A vs. topic B)
- Visually investigate trends and patterns across and within the conferences
- Identify and contact the original submitter for more information or to discuss partnership on a new SIOP session or research project
- And much more!
A Screenshot of the Program Explorer (fields can be searched, clicked on, hovered over, and sorted by to produce different views of the data):
Our challenge to you:
Check out the interactive dashboard and tell us what interesting findings you extract on your favorite social media platform or, if you’re on Twitter be sure to tag @SIOPtweets and use the hashtag #SIOPExplorer. Also, if you want a deeper dive into the Program Explorer’s functionality, including how-tos for several use cases, please see this document.The Program Explorer has been created using Keshif as a service; see www.keshif.me for more information about its use.
What is the SIOP Content Initiative (SCi)?
- What is the SCi mission? To elevate SIOP Conference content and presenter research before, during, and after our annual event through SIOP social media channels by providing visibility and translation to outside communities and within SIOP.
- Who is the SCi team? This I-O power crew consists of Tiffany Poeppelman (Chair), Bo Armstrong, Nikki Blacksmith, Jess Thornton, & Evan Sinar. Each have been involved in increasing the visibility of SIOP through technology and social media.
- How did this taskforce get started? Started in April of 2016, this taskforce was proposed by SIOP’s Communications Officer, Alex Alonso, and SIOP’s Conferences and Portfoilo Officer, Evan Sinar, as they recognized a need to increase visibility, application, and influence of SIOP-presented insights. After selecting the taskforce Chair, Tiffany Poeppelman, the three worked together to pull a team of SIOP volunteers with specific interests and passion around social media and communication. Together, this team has created their mission and vision, which continues to be showcased through their work. Who knows what we will see next!
- Questions or feedback? The SIOP Content Initiative (SCi) is always interested in hearing from you – whether you want to be involved, have questions, or have feedback. For more information, contact Tiffany Poeppelman (firstname.lastname@example.org).
What can I expect in future from the SCi Team?
Under the SIOP Content Initiative (SCi), our SCi Team will be providing additional insights into hot topics trending over time, and other interesting findings! Keep an eye out on our SIOP social media channels for interesting data and stats which we will be sharing from the dashboard.
For questions about the SIOP Program Explorer, contact Evan Sinar at Evan.Sinar@ddiworld.com (@evansinar); for questions about work underway and planned by the SCi Team, contact Tiffany Poeppelman at email@example.com (@trpoeppelman).