There are many ways to stretch your budget as you plan for the SIOP 2014 Annual conference. Below are just a few ideas.
Your hotel stay is often the biggest part of your travel expense. That is why SIOP has negotiated a very low hotel rate at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. In fact, rooms at the Hilton Hawaiian Village start at just $199 a night, which is lower than both the 2013 conference in Houston (rooms started at $221/night in the conference hotel) and the 2012 conference in San Diego (rooms started at $255/night in the conference hotel).
A little effort goes a long way in keeping your air travel costs low.
- Plan ahead. Make your reservations early. Airlines often offer lower prices on advanced purchase or fare sales several months out.
- Shop online. Do some comparison shopping on various travel and airline websites, such as Airfare Watchdog (www.airfarewatchdog.com).
- Be flexible. Use the “travel dates are flexible” option available on many internet travel aggregators and airline websites. Substantial savings may be available if you extend your arrival or departure date by a day or two.
With a little thought and planning, you can stretch your daily meal budget.
- Concession lunches will be available at the convention center. They are freshly prepared, healthy, and low cost. No “plastic triangle” sandwiches!
- Many of our affiliated groups host receptions throughout the conference that combine food and great networking opportunities. Be on the lookout for invitations.
- Eat like a local. Leave the hotel to explore local cuisine in the Honolulu area. These options can offer a more economical meal, and a more adventurous and memorable experience.
- Plan ahead by checking out area restaurants online before you leave.