What Are the Criteria for SIOP Membership?
There are multiple membership types in SIOP and different eligibility requirements for each, as governed by the Society’s Bylaws. The SIOP Membership Committee, comprised of SIOP member-volunteers, reviews professional membership applications to ensure the Bylaws’ standards are upheld.
To become a member of SIOP you must meet the criteria for one or more of the membership types listed here. SIOP will verify degrees of professional member applicants and may verify enrollment of Student Affiliate applicants.
In order to reduce delays in your membership application process, please carefully review the information below before submitting your application to ensure you have met ALL requirements.
A “Member” applicant must:
- Hold a doctoral degree based in part upon a psychological dissertation conferred by a graduate school that is regionally accredited or one of equivalent standing outside the United States.
- Be engaged in study or professional activities, as demonstrated by research, teaching, and/or practice, which are related to the purpose of the Society, as stated in Article I, Section 2 of the Society’s Bylaws.
Applicants for “Member” with a doctoral degree not specifically called “Industrial-Organizational Psychology” must support their application with two documents of any combination of the following:
- Abstract of an article published in an I-O-related journal
- Letter of recommendation written by current Society Fellow or Member (not Associate, International Affiliate, or Student Affiliate) (sample letter of recommendation)
- Listing of I-O related courses taught
- Copy of unpublished research or evaluation report in an I-O area
“Member” is also available to existing “Associate” individuals who meet a few additional qualifications, outlined HERE.
An “Associate” applicant must:
- Hold a master's degree in psychology from a regionally accredited graduate school or one of equivalent standing outside the United States.
- Individuals who have completed at least two years of graduate work in psychology in a regionally accredited graduate school are also eligible for “Associate;” however, if the individual is still currently a student, the individual is also eligible for and may prefer to apply for “Student Affiliate”.
- Be engaged in professional or graduate work related to the purpose of the Society, as stated in Article I, Section 2 of the Society’s Bylaws.
An “International Affiliate” applicant must:
- Reside in a country other than the United States.
- Meet all criteria for “Member” or “Associate”.
While not required, applicants for International Affiliate who are also in EAWOP or IAAP-Division 1 are extended a $10 discount off of the SIOP professional dues, as governed by an international agreement described here. Those interested in receiving this discount must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have their EAWOP or IAAP-Division 1 status verified after submitting the application for SIOP International Affiliate membership.
A “Student Affiliate” applicant must:
- Be a student (graduate or undergraduate) presently engaged in formal study related to the purpose of the Society as stated in Article I, Section 2e of the Society’s Bylaws.
”Fellow” is an esteemed honor granted through a nomination process, under the direction of the SIOP Fellowship Committee. Questions pertaining to SIOP Fellowship can be directed to Dr. Ron Landis, SIOP Fellowship Chair.
“Retired” memberships are available to any current SIOP professional member (Fellow, Member, Associate or International Affiliate) who is now retired. To switch from professional membership to “Retired” simply choose the retired dues amount during your next dues payment transaction.
How Do I Proceed?
All membership applications and dues payments are accepted through our online system at my.siop.org. If you do not already have an existing web account with SIOP you will need to create a new one to apply for membership.
For those who are new to SIOP or are applying for a membership upgrade, dues are payable at the time of application and preliminary membership benefits become immediately available. Professional membership applicants will receive notification of their approval usually within 3-4 weeks. For membership applications that are not approved, dues payments will be refunded. Student Affiliate applicants are automatically approved for membership.
To view the many benefits of SIOP membership, please visit www.siop.org/benefits.
If your membership question is not answered here, please contact Jayne Tegge, Membership Services Specialist in the SIOP Administrative Office, at email@example.com or 419-353-0032.
Return to SIOP Home Page