What Are the Criteria for SIOP Membership?
There are multiple membership statuses in SIOP and different eligibility requirements for each, as governed by the Society’s Bylaws. The SIOP Membership Committee, comprised of SIOP member-volunteers, reviews professional membership applications to ensure the Bylaws’ standards are upheld.
To become a member of SIOP you must meet the criteria for one or more of the membership statuses listed here. SIOP will verify degrees of professional member applicants and may verify enrollment of Student Affiliate applicants.
In order to reduce delays in your membership application process, please carefully review the information below before submitting your application to ensure you have met ALL requirements.
A “Member” applicant must:
- Hold a doctoral degree based in part upon a psychological dissertation conferred by a graduate school that is regionally accredited or one of equivalent standing outside the United States.
- Be engaged in study or professional activities, as demonstrated by research, teaching, and/or practice, which are related to the purpose of the Society, as stated in Article I, Section 2 of the Society’s Bylaws.
Applicants for “Member ” status with a doctoral degree not specifically called “Industrial-Organizational Psychology” must support their application with two of any combination of the following:
- Abstracts of articles published in I-O-related journals
- Letters of recommendation written by current Society Fellows or Members (not Associates, International Affiliates, or Student Affiliates)
- Listings of I-O related courses taught
- Copies of unpublished research or evaluation reports in I-O areas
“Member” status is also available to existing “Associate” status individuals who meet a number of qualifications, outlined HERE.
An “Associate” applicant must:
- Hold a master's degree in psychology from a regionally accredited graduate school or one of equivalent standing outside the United States.
- Individuals who have completed at least two years of graduate work in psychology in a regionally accredited graduate school are also eligible for “Associate;” however, if the individual is still currently a student, the individual is also eligible for and may prefer to apply for “Student Affiliate”.
- Be engaged in professional or graduate work related to the purpose of the Society, as stated in Article I, Section 2 of the Society’s Bylaws.
An “International Affiliate” applicant must:
- Reside in a country other than the United States.
- Meet all criteria for “Member” or “Associate” status.
While not required, applicants for SIOP International Affiliate status who are also in EAWOP or IAAP-Division 1 are extended a $10 discount off of the SIOP professional dues, as governed by an international agreement described here. Those interested in receiving this discount must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have their EAWOP or IAAP-Division 1 status verified after submitting the application for SIOP International Affiliate status .
A “Student Affiliate” applicant must:
- Be a student (graduate or undergraduate ) presently engaged in formal study related to the purpose of the Society as stated in Article I, Section 2e of the Society’s Bylaws.
”Fellow” status in SIOP is an esteemed honor granted through a nomination process, under the direction of the SIOP Fellowship Committee. Questions pertaining to “Fellow” status can be directed to Dr. Ron Landis, SIOP Fellowship Chair.
“Retired” status is available to any current SIOP professional member (Fellow, Member, Associate or International Affiliate) who is now retired. To switch from professional membership to “Retired” status, please contact Jayne Tegge, Membership Services Specialist, at email@example.com.
How Do I Proceed?
If you are a current or previous SIOP member and simply wish to renew your membership at the same status, please proceed directly to www.siop.org/dues to make your renewal dues payment.
If you are a current or previous Associate, International Affiliate, or Student Affiliate and wish to upgrade your membership to one of the higher status levels, please submit your upgrade request at www.siop.org/Membership/main.aspx. Your application will be reviewed by the SIOP Membership Committee and may take up to 8 weeks to be approved. During this time, you will not experience an interruption in your existing SIOP membership benefits. Professional membership dues will be requested once your upgrade has been approved.
If you are new to SIOP and wish to apply for professional (Member, Associate, or International Affiliate) membership or Student Affiliate membership, please proceed to www.siop.org/Membership/main.aspx to begin your application. The SIOP Membership Committee will review professional membership applications, which may take up to 3 or 4 weeks. Professional dues will be requested once your application has been approved. Student Affiliate memberships are instantly approved with dues requested at the time of application.
To view the many benefits of SIOP membership, please visit www.siop.org/benefits.
If your membership question is not answered here, please contact Jayne Tegge, Membership Services Specialist in the SIOP Administrative Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-353-0032.