SIOP Consortium 2008: Executive Coaching for Effective Performance: Leading Edge Practice and Research
Open Space Session
Topic: Managing large-scale coaching engagements in organizations
· Who will fund coaching? HR? Business units? Leaders?
· How to set pricing?
· How to address scope and scale of engagements? (e.g., global audience)
· Who is the target audience? Who is eligible to participate?
· What are the goals? Behaviors change? Performance outcomes?
· What coaches to use? External? Internal?
· How best to link coaching to overall leadership and talent development practices?
· Need to build commitment
o Understand organization’s historical perspective and experience with coaching
o Find champions
o Adopt top-down approach in deploying coaching to gain buy in
o Share success stories
· Selection of coaches
o On boarding
o Competitive bidding
· Decide on building internal infrastructure vs. outsourcing
· Sustainability (over time, given changes in top leadership)
· Optional Coaching Models:
o Wild west
o HR platform (“build it and they will come…”)
o Link to leadership and top talent programs
· Choose a model that fits the organization’s culture, history, and maturity