History Committee Report
Chair, Paul Levy
Here are the goals that I sent you in June along with an update:
1) Interview(s) of the early leaders of the SIOP conference which would be shared in a TIP article or two (e.g., Stan Silverman, Irv Goldstein).
- Interviewed Stan Silverman and wrote up the Tip article which has been provided to Wendy Becker and should be published soon.
2) Assist in the preparation of posters to represent each year of the conference to be on display at the 25th Anniversary Conference.
- This is the real focus now. We have contacted the Chairs of each of the 25 conferences and have provided them with a spreadsheet requesting various information about their conference. We have many of those spreadsheets returned to us now and will work to get the rest. We will employ the Administrative Office to help us fill in the missing data. Our next job will be to organize the information into a series of posters, one for each year – the AO will help us with this as well. We hope and expect that these posters will really serve as a nice look back for conference attendees as well as nice conversation starters.
3) Help in the organization of session(s) around the history of the conference and/or Society to be held at the 25th Anniversary Conference.
- We also put together a session around the history of the conference. I will chair the session and participants include:
- Discussant: Kevin T. Mahoney;
- Panelists: John P. Campbell, Katherine J. Klein, William H. Macey, Denise M. Rousseau, Stanley B. Silverman, Lois Tetrick,
4) Assist in the coordination of other efforts that would highlight our history at the conference.
- Not much on this front as the top 3 above have kept us very busy.
5) Work with the former Presidents of SIOP to get more of their biographies completed. Our goal would be to complete these for the Presidents who served in the 1980s and 1990s. We would focus on the more recent Presidential biographies in the following year.
- I’ve gathered contact information for the former Presidents, but have not sent them a letter yet. Once I have all of the conference stuff handled, I will move on to this task.