TIP Committee: Report to Executive Board
Committee Chair Name: Wendy S. Becker
Judith S. Blanton (Practitioners’ Forum)
Stuart C. Carr (Pro-Social Issues)
Scott Cassidy (Graduate Student)
Lily Cushenbery (Graduate Student)
Marcus Dickson (Max. Classroom Capacity)
Eric Dunleavy (Legal Issues)
Joshua Fairchild (Graduate Student)
Tom Giberson (Good Science-Good Practice)
Patricia Grabarek (Graduate Student)
Arthur Gutman (Legal Issues)
Scott Highhouse (History)
Rachel Hoult (Graduate Student)
Jamie Madigan (Good Science-Good Practice)
David Pollack (Conferences & Meetings)
Sylvia G. Roch (Teaching Forum)
Shin-I-Shih (Graduate Student)
Rob Silzer (Practice Perspectives)
Anna L. Sackett (Editorial Assistant)
Katina Sawyer (Graduate Student)
Shin-I-Shih (Graduate Student)
Rob Silzer (Practitioner Perspectives)
Amie Skattebo (Graduate Student)
Lori Foster Thompson (Spotlight on Global I-O)
Christian Thoroughgood (Graduate Student)
Michael Zickar (History)
Strategic Planning Goals: (Please highlight committee goals related to the advocacy of SIOP’s Strategic Planning Goals).
All TIP goals pertain to one or more of the SIOP strategic planning goals.
SIOP Vision: To be recognized as the premier professional group committed to advancing the science and practice of the psychology of work.
SIOP Goals: SIOP will become the…
1. Visible and trusted authority on work-related psychology.
2. Advocate and champion of I-O psychology to policy makers.
3. Organization of choice of I-O professionals.
4. Model of integrated scientist–practitioner effectiveness that values research, practice, and education equally and seeks higher standards in all three areas.
1. Feature the annual conference in the July 2009 issue.
2. Feature the Leading Edge conference in the January, 2010 issue.
3. Cultivate an international community and promote awareness of international issues.
(1) In January, 2009, we renamed, ‘Spotlight on Global I-O’ column to emphasize the promotion of I-O’s international community.
(2) Pro-Social I-O debuted as an editorial column in January, 2008; columnist Stu Carr continues to feature interviews with international leaders on issues related to IO and global change.
4. Evaluate member satisfaction with TIP and identify improvements.
On-going Action: Future SIOP member surveys will be analyzed and reviewed for identification of areas of improvements in TIP.
5. Continue the excellence and quality established by predecessors.
(1) TIP is now listed in Cabell’s Directory of Publishing Opportunities; the goal is to help TIP’s authors receive recognition from their academic departments for writing in TIP.
(2) All TIP columns and submissions continue to be reviewed to determine appropriateness, relevance, and quality; assistance is solicited from the editorial board and external reviewers.
(3) Many submissions of photographs continue to be submitted for the cover of TIP. The goal is to recognize the creativity and talent of SIOP members and staff. We continue to receive much support for the enhanced “new look” of TIP.
6. Anticipate and ensure a smooth transition between current editor and new editor, effective April 2010.
(1) Discussed possible future editors with past-president Gary Latham; Gary discussed with current president Kurt Kraiger. A new editor was identified (Lori Foster Thompson); the editor-in-training has been “shadowing” the current editor for three publication cycles of TIP. However, Lori is not able to assume the duty of Editor, so a new Editor must be identified ASAP.
(2) Editor was interviewed by Dianne Stone; Dianne was performing a job analysis of the TIP Editor position.
Updates or Comments From Chair:
The January 2010 issue represents the 11th issue of my 12 issue (3-year) editorial term.
Editorial Board Changes:
- A new column, “Practitioners’ Forum” has been initiated; Judy Blanton was added to the Editorial Board.
- A new column, “Max. Classroom Capacity” has been initiated; Marcus W. Dickson continues on the Editorial Board.
- Tom Giberson replaces Marcus Dickson in the column, “Good Science- Good Practice.”
- Derek Avery completed his term on the Editorial Board (Diversity).
- A new graduate student team (Penn State University) is sponsoring the column, “TIP-TOPics for Students. Scott Cassidy, Patricia Grabarek, Shin-I-Shih, Lily Cushenberry, Christian Thoroughgood, Amie Skattebo, Katina Sawyer, Rachel Hoult, and Joshua Fairchild joined the Editorial Board.
CRITICAL: It is urgent that we identify a new Editor-in-Training ASAP.
Continued thanks to all editorial board members for outstanding contributions and to contributors and reviewers for their hard work on featured articles. Thanks to President Kurt Kraiger for the ‘Message From Your President’ column. Thanks to Clif Boutelle, who provides regular columns and editorial support. A special thank you to the SIOP Administrative Office, especially Jen Baker, Lori Peake and Dave Nershi, for their support and professionalism in making TIP a success.
Wendy S. Becker
John L. Grove College of Business
1872 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg, PA 17257-2299
E-mail email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org