TIP Committee Goals and Progress Report Form
Committee Chair Name: Lisa Steelman
Joan Brannick (Practitioners’ Forum)
Stuart C. Carr (Pro-Social Issues)
Scott Cassidy (Graduate Student)
Satoris Culbertson (Academics’ Forum)
Lily Cushenbery (Graduate Student)
Marcus Dickson (Max. Classroom Capacity)
Eric Dunleavy (Legal Front)
Joshua Fairchild (Graduate Student)
Tom Giberson (Good Science-Good Practice)
Patricia Grabarek (Graduate Student)
Arthur Gutman (Legal Front)
Milt Hakel (Foundation Spotlight)
Scott Highhouse (History)
Rachel Hoult (Graduate Student)
Paul Levy (History)
Jamie Madigan (Good Science-Good Practice)
David Pollack (Conferences & Meetings)
Katina Sawyer (Graduate Student)
Shin-I-Shih (Graduate Student)
Rob Silzer (Practice Perspectives)
Amie Skattebo (Graduate Student)
Lori Foster Thompson (Spotlight on Global I-O)
Christian Thoroughgood (Graduate Student)
Stephen Young (Editorial Assistant)
Michael Zickar (History)
SIOP Vision: To be recognized as the premier professional group committed to advancing the science and practice of the psychology of work.
SIOP Goals: SIOP will become the…
1. Visible and trusted authority on work-related psychology. This includes:
2. Advocate and champion of I-O psychology to policy makers. This includes:
3. Organization of choice of I-O professionals. This includes:
4. Model of integrated scientist–practitioner effectiveness that values research, practice, and education equally and seeks higher standards in all three areas.
TIP Strategic Planning Goals & Status:
All TIP goals pertain to one or more of the SIOP strategic planning goals.
- Provide features of interest to scientists, practitioners and educators. Continue the excellence and quality established by predecessors.
a) Ensure a diversity of features, columns, and news items in each issue.
b) All TIP columns and submissions continue to be reviewed for appropriateness, relevance, and quality; assistance in reviewing is provided by the editorial board and external reviewers.
- Continue to cultivate an international community and promote awareness of international issues.
a) Solicit Feature Articles as appropriate
b) Explore the possibility of adding a new column on international I-O approaches.
- Investigate moving the submission process online.
On-going Action: The Administrative Office has now completed a beta site for online submissions. The Editor will review with administrator and seek feedback from editorial board.
- Feature the annual conference in the April (pre conference) and July (post conference) issues.
- Feature the Leading Edge conference in the January issue.
- Evaluate member satisfaction with TIP and identify improvements.
On-going Action: Future SIOP member surveys will be analyzed and reviewed for identification of areas of improvements in TIP.
- Ensure a smooth transition between current editor and new editor, effective April 2010.
Updates or Comments from Chair:
(1) Working on obtaining copy of the job description for the TIP editor completed by Dianna Stone.
(2) A preprint of Gutman & Dunleavy’s July 2010 column on the Bank of America/OFCCP ruling has been requested by Bank of America for use in its appeal. This demonstrates the significance and timeliness of TIP’s content.
Editorial Board Changes:
(1) Judy Blanton stepped down from the Practitioners’ Forum column. Joan Brannick has agreed to manage this column and serve on the editorial board moving forward. The focus and mission of the column will remain the same.
(2) Sylvia Roch stepped down from the Academics’ Forum column and was replaced by Satoris Culbertson who was also added to the editorial board. The focus and mission of the column will remain the same.
Thanks to outgoing editor Wendy Becker for facilitating a smooth transition. Kudos to Wendy Becker for shepherding TIP through 3 successful years, with outstanding content and thought-provoking articles. Great thanks to all the editorial board members for their outstanding contributions. Thanks to outgoing columnists Judy Blanton and Sylvia Roch and their contributions to TIP. Thanks to Clif Boutelle, who provides regular columns and editorial support. A special thank you to the SIOP Administrative Office; especially Jen Baker, Stephany Schings and Dave Nershi, for their support and professionalism in making TIP a success.
Lisa A. Steelman
Florida Institute of Technology
150 W. University Blvd.
Melbourne FL 32901