2012-2013 CEMA Committee Goals
Submitted by: Juan M. Madera
Committee Members: Stefanie K. Johnson, Larry Martinez, Sarah Singletary
Comment by Chair: If you have any questions or if you need more information about any of the information please do not hesitate to contact Juan M. Madera via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 713-614-2800.
1. Partner with the SIOP Diversity Task Force
- The first goal is to create a “working group” for the SIOP Diversity Task Force using members of CEMA.
- The three major questions to answer are:
- Why do ethnic and minority students transition at a lower rate to membership status (both full and associate) than white students?
- What can SIOP do about this?
- What can SIOP do to develop underrepresented members into leadership roles with SIOP?
2. SIOP 2013 in Houston, TX
- CEMA will develop a roundtable/conversation that will address the following:
- What minority students need and suggest for effective mentoring in SIOP?
- Issues faced by minority graduate students and suggestions for solutions?
- How do we increase the visibility of CEMA for minority students?
- Continue the prominence of the CEMA Reception.
3. CEMA Best Paper Award
- Continue the efforts to create a CEMA Best Paper Award
- Create a subcommittee to assist with this effort.