Home Home | About Us | Sitemap | Contact  
  • Info For
  • Professionals
  • Students
  • Educators
  • Media
  • Search
    Powered By Google

2005-2006 SIOP Professional Practice Committee

Doug Reynolds, Chair
Update as of 25 April 2006

 

NOTE: New progress for this reporting period is in bold text throughout.

 

Professional Practice Committee

 

Chair: Doug Reynolds

 

Term Objectives: 

 

  • Enhance the visibility of I/O practice

  •  Enhance SIOPs appeal and impact in the international I/O practice community

  • Better define and manage the boundaries and relationships with other psychology practitioner groups

 

Sub-Committee on Boundary Spanning Practice Areas

 

Chair:  Anna Erickson

Members:

 

  • Joyce Bono

  • Ivonne Moreno-Velazquez

  • Deb Gebhardt

     

  • Mary Kralj

  • Dianne Maranto

     

  •  Julia McElreath

  •  Matt Smith

  • Van Latham

 

 

Objective:  Better define and manage the boundaries and relationships with other psychology practitioner groups

 

Goals for 2005-06

Progress

 

1.      To finalize the competency model for coaching, including model curriculum, recommend assessments, and standards that will promote and support the professional practice of executive/leadership coaching. 

 

 

The competency model is to be based on an integration of Joyce Bonos research on the field and practice of executive coaching and the survey and interviews previously completed by the subcommittee.

 

Joyce will be finalizing the research this summer and the subcommittee will work with her to disseminate the results through SIOP channels, e.g., TIP.

 

 

2.      Transition subcommittee leadership to a new chair and refocus the group on an expanded charter of environmental scanning and boundary spanning issues.

Anna Erickson has now assumed the chair of this subcommittee.

 

 

 

3.      To support APAs psychologically healthy workplace initiative by serving in a frontline liaison role.

The subcommittee is investigating the initiative, to detail how APA has defined psychologically healthy, to expand this definition to include and/or link to traditional I-O research areas, and to share information with SIOP members about research and funding opportunities.

 

New members were added to this subcommittee that are active in the Workplace Award program to build ties with this group.

 

Anna Erickson presented at the APA's state leadership conference (Washington, D.C.; March 4 & 5) to the state representatives to the APA's Business of Practice Network (BOPN).  BOPN is responsible for rolling out the Psychologically Healthy Workplace Award within each state.  Anna was asked to talk about organizational change from an I/O perspective.  Discussions were initiated regarding funding an expert to present on the topic at next years meeting.

 


 


Sub-Committee: International Affairs

 

Co-Chairs: Tanya Delany and Pauline Velez

Members:

 

  • Sharon Arad

  • Rabi Bhagat

  • Gary Greguras

  • Monica Hemingway

  • Joy Hazucha

 

Objective:  Foster exchange of information and best practices among I/O psychologists and related professionals worldwide.

 

Goals for 2005-06

Progress

 

 

1.      Develop individual listing component of the International Directory (org. component completed in 05).

 

 

 

2.      Feed requirements related to the International Directory to SIOP to enhance the usability of the Directory.

         Working with the Membership Committee to add an item to the dues form for international members to indicate their agreement to be included in the International Directory.

 

 

         Additionally, scheduled to communicate with international members and conference participants regarding international papers/sessions hosted at the SIOP conference as well as inviting individuals to the subcommittee's planned events (i.e., International Reception and International Cafe).  A follow up survey will be sent to attendees of the subcommittee events after SIOP to obtain feedback and suggestions.

 

         Working to develop an individual listing component of the International Directory (org. component completed in 2005); Gave requirements related to the International Directory to SIOP to enhance the usability of the Directory; Touched base with electronics committee to reestablish relationship; Work with electronics committee to make changes to user interface of the directory. 

 

 

3.      Transition subcommittee leadership to a new chair.  Maintain focus and energy of the group during the transition.

 

 

  Tanya Delany and Pauline Velez are the new subcommittee Co-Chairs. 

 

 

4.      Collaborate on the implementation of the first International Research Award to be awarded at SIOP 2006.

 

5.      Collaborate with the Membership committee to send welcome note to new international members and advise them about the international affairs sub-committees mission and goals.

 

 

6.      Work with the Membership committee to add to the dues form an item for international members to indicate their agreement to be included in the International Directory.

 

  Still looking for funding for the international award, considering non-monetary options. 

 

 

  Informal welcome letter to new international members, based on the list available in TIP, sent by the committee.  The committee is currently collaborating with the Membership Committee and SIOP Project Office to have distribution lists of international members created.

  See above (1st bullet)

 

 

7.      Develop relationships with I/O organizations outside of the US; define a protocol for how these relationships should be operationalized (e.g., information transfer, joint sponsorship of events)

  The team is developing relationships with targeted international I/O associations - a personal invitation was extended to IAAP, EWAOP, SIOPssa, DAIOP - Japan, to share information about their associations during SIOP at the International Cafe; the team is also working to define a protocol for how these relationships should be operationalized (e.g., information transfer, joint sponsorship of events) in the future.

 

 

8.      Continue to enhance the international participation and visibility at the SIOP conference, for example:

         Sponsor reception for international members

         Offer an international room for the 2006 SIOP conference to provide a place for international members to connect and learn more about SIOP, the conference, and get tips about how best to benefit from the conference.

 

         Create international symposia in conjunction with the program committee

 

The committee proposed and will host the first International Caf.  This is a one-hour welcoming forum for international members on Friday morning that is designed as a response to the growing international participation in SIOP conference and the expressed needs of international members to have more opportunities to informally network with other international and US members. The Cafe will feature invited international associations and will publicize the International Members Reception.

 

 


 

Sub-Committee:  Consultant Locator                                                                                          

 

 

Chair: William Shepherd

Members:

 

  • Alana Cober

  • Rich Cober

 

 

Objective:  Maintain and enhance the functionality and marketing of the Consultant Locator

 

Goals for 2005-06

Progress

 

1.      Execute marketing plan for the consultant locator to build visibility and access to the tool for potential users.

On hold pending website changes

 

2.      Continue to work with individual subscribers/ administrators to improve their listings and ensure high-quality content (to be complete by Fall 05).

In Progress.

 

3.      Publicize the CLS within SIOP to build the subscriber base.

 

 

4.      Revise the development plan to cover both short and long-term improvements for the CLS to accommodate SIOP website changes and new features/functions for the tool.

 

 

Survey items were developed and added to the SIOP Membership Survey to investigate the perceived value of the tool and willingness to participate under alternative billing scenarios. 

 

 

Currently working with the SIOP administrative office to revise the tool to be more user-friendly; the revised design will be closer to the media referral tool.   This is a top priority, as the redesign of the site will provide a stronger foundation for marketing the tool.

 

The team is also working on alternative fee proposals.  The current fee structure may be a barrier to wide usage.

 

5.      Formalize and execute a yearly billing process.


 


Sub-Committee: Salary Survey

 

Chair: Gina Medsker

Members:

 

  • David Katkowski

 

 

 

Objective:  Design, deploy, analyze, and publish a recurring survey of salaries in I/O psychology.

 

Goals for 2005-06

Progress

 

1.      Complete a lessons learned summary from the deployment of the first Web survey in 2004.

2.      Maintain the survey database and respond to requests for data and brief analyses.

   Responded to questions regarding the survey from the SIOP office and membership.

 

   Preparing to conduct the 2006 survey with a new vendor.

  

Committee Ad-Hoc Activities

 

Proposed for 2005-06

Progress

 

Revise the administrative manual to more accurately reflect the structure and operation of the Professional Practice Committee.

Under revision, to be complete by June 1.

 

Prepare transition documents for 2006-07 Professional Practice Committee Chair

Initial transition discussion with new chair, Rob Silzer in April.

  

New Committee Ad-Hoc (Definition of an Applicant Ad Hoc Committee)

New Activity:

In October, the OFCCP issued their final rule regarding the definition of an Internet Applicant.   When the draft rule was issued in March of 2004, an ad hoc committee was pulled together to review and comment upon the governments guidance.  This fall the group was re-convened to comment upon the final rule and its implications for practice.   Comments were received from six members and a summary article was prepared for publication in TIP.   

  This article appeared in the January edition of TIP.   

  An update to this article is being prepared for the next addition of TIP.  

  This team will remain in place until the upcoming release of the final EEOC UGESP Q&A document.