TIP Committee End of Year Report
Committee Chair Name: Wendy S. Becker
Date: March, 2009
x End of Year Report
Tara Behrend (Graduate Student)
Stuart C. Carr (Pro-Social Issues)
Jimmy Davis (Diversity Report)
Marcus Dickson (Good Science-Good Practice)
Eric Dunleavy (Legal Issues)
Amy DuVernet (Graduate Student)
Arthur Gutman (Legal Issues)
Clara Hess (Graduate Student)
Scott Highhouse (History)
Jennifer Lindberg (Graduate Student)
Jamie Madigan (Good Science-Good Practice)
David Pollack (Conferences & Meetings)
Reanna Poncheri (Graduate Student)
Sylvia G. Roch (Teaching Forum)
Rob Silzer (Practice Perspectives)
Anna L. Sackett (Editorial Assistant)
Lori Foster Thompson (Spotlight on Global I-O)
Jane Vignovic (Graduate Student)
Michael Zickar (History)
SIOP Vision: To be recognized as the premier professional group committed to advancing the science and practice of the psychology of work.
SIOP Goals: SIOP will become the…
1. Visible and trusted authority on work-related psychology.
2. Advocate and champion of I-O psychology to policy makers.
3. Organization of choice of I-O professionals.
4. Model of integrated scientist–practitioner effectiveness that values research, practice, and education equally and seeks higher standards in all three areas.
Strategic Planning Goals: (Please highlight committee goals related to the advocacy of SIOP’s Strategic Planning Goals).
All TIP goals pertain to one or more of the SIOP strategic planning goals.
- Feature the annual conference in the July 2008 issue.
- Feature the Leading Edge conference in the January, 2009 issue.
- Cultivate an international community and promote awareness of international issues.
(1) Global issues are highlighted in the ‘Spotlight’ editorial column which features interviews by columnist Lori Foster Thompson. In January, 2009, this column was renamed, ‘Spotlight on Global I-O’ to emphasize the promotion of I-O’s international community.
(2) Pro-Social I-O debuted as an editorial column in January, 2008; columnist Stu Carr features interviews with international leaders on issues related to global change.
- Evaluate member satisfaction with TIP and identify improvements.
On-going Action: Future SIOP member surveys will be analyzed and reviewed for identification of areas of improvements in TIP.
- Continue the excellence and quality established by predecessors.
(1) We completed a successful application to have TIP listed in Cabell’s Directory of Publishing Opportunities; the goal is to help authors receive recognition from their academic departments for their writing in TIP.
(2) All TIP columns and submissions continue to be reviewed to determine appropriateness, relevance, and quality; assistance is solicited from the editorial board and external reviewers.
(3) We continue to receive many submissions of photographs for the cover of TIP. The goal is to recognize the creativity and talent of SIOP members and staff. We continue to receive much support for the “new look” of TIP.
- Anticipate and ensure a smooth transition between current editor and new editor, effective April 2010.
(1) I spoke at length with Dianne Stone regarding a job analysis of the TIP Editor position; Dianne is designing an ongoing process for a smooth transition.
(2) I met with SIOP president Gary Latham (at Academy of Management, August, 2008) to discuss possible future editors of TIP; ongoing discussion continues with incoming SIOP president Kurt Kraiger. The plan is to determine a new TIP editor by April, 2009; the new editor will “shadow” the current editor for one year (four issues).
Updates or Comments From Chair:
The January 2009 issue represents the 7th issue of my 12 issue (3-year) editorial term.
Editorial Board Change:
Derek Avery completed his term on the Editorial Board (Diversity) and has been replaced by Jimmy Davis, who joins the Editorial Board.
Continued thanks to all editorial board members for outstanding contributions and to contributors and reviewers for their hard work on featured articles. Thanks to President Gary Latham for the ‘Message From Your President’ column. Thanks to Clif Boutelle, who provides regular columns and editorial support. A special thank you to the SIOP Administrative Office, especially Jen Baker, Lori Peake and Dave Nershi, for their support and professionalism in making TIP a success.
Wendy S. Becker
John L. Grove College of Business
1872 Old Main Drive
Shippensburg, PA 17257-2299