TIP Committee Goals and Progress Report Form
Committee Chair Name: Laura Koppes
Date: August 29, 2006
x Progress Report
Lori Foster Thompson
Gabriel E. Lopez Rivas
Raymond Charles Ottinot
SIOP Vision: To be recognized as the premier professional group committed to advancing the science and practice of the psychology of work.
SIOP Goals: SIOP will become the…
1. Visible and trusted authority on work-related psychology. This includes:
2. Advocate and champion of I-O psychology to policy makers. This includes:
3. Organization of choice of I-O professionals. This includes:
4. Model of integrated scientist–practitioner effectiveness that values research, practice, and education equally and seeks higher standards in all three areas.
Strategic Planning Goals: (Please highlight committee goals related to the advocacy of SIOP’s Strategic Planning Goals)
- To feature the annual conference in the July 2006 issue.
Complete: All column editors were asked to highlight the conference in their columns. Past award winners were invited to submit articles. Specific conference session participants were selected and invited to submit articles. Specific sessions covering research, practice, and education and training appeared in the issue. Committee chairs were asked to provide any conference updates. Past-President Hough was invited to print her presidential address.
- Review the I-O ethicist column to determine its future existence in TIP.
Completed: I talked with Bill Macey, the head of this column, about his desire to continue the column. Bill Macey will retire from the board, thus, the column is retired.
- Cultivate an international community and promote awareness of international issues.
On-going Action: Submissions of a global nature will be invited. Column editors will be asked to include a global perspective. Two international organizations, EAWOP and SIOP-SA wrote articles based on their conference presentations. The column on global issues will be continued.
- Evaluate member satisfaction with TIP and identify improvements.
On-going Action: The SIOP member survey results are analyzed and reviewed. I have discussed the results with the incoming TIP editor, Wendy Becker. We identified several areas of improvements.
- Continue the excellence and quality established by predecessors.
On-going Action: Columns and submissions will be carefully reviewed to determine appropriateness, relevance, and quality. Assistance will be solicited from external reviewers when deemed necessary.
- Select new student editors for the TIP-TOPics student column.
On-going Action: The current student editors and I will conduct the TIP-TOPics writing contest in order to select the next column editors. The incoming editor will be asked to participate in the selection.
- Ensure a smooth transition between current editor and new editor, effective April 2007.
Completed and On-going Action: Advice will be given to the President in identifying a new editor. Upon selection of a new editor by October, 2006, I will include the editor in developing the January 2007 and April 2007 issues. I will contact the current editorial board members to determine who would like to continue on the board with the new editor. Wendy Becker has accepted the appointment as the incoming editor. Staring with the October 2006 issue, Wendy is shadowing my work, and will be included in decision-making. I gave Wendy a status report on all board members with regard to retirements and desire to continue.
Updates or Comments From Chair:
All the TIP goals pertain to one or more of the SIOP strategic planning goals.