TIP Committee Goals and Progress Report Form
Committee Chair Name: Wendy S. Becker
Date: January 15, 2008
x Progress Report
Derek Avery (Diversity report)
Tara Behrend (Graduate Student)
Stuart C. Carr (Pro-Social, Global Issues)
Marcus Dickson (Good Science-Good Practice)
Eric Dunleavy (Legal Issues)
Amy DuVernet (Graduate Student)
Arthur Gutman (Legal Issues)
Clara Hess (Graduate Student)
Scott Highhouse (History)
Jennifer Lindberg (Graduate Student)
Jamie Madigan (Good Science-Good Practice)
David Pollack (Conferences & Meetings)
Reanna Poncheri (Graduate Student)
Sylvia G. Roch (Teaching Forum)
Anna L. Sackett (Graduate Student Editorial Assistant)
Lori Foster Thompson (Spotlight on I-O organizations)
Jane Vignovic (Graduate Student)
Michael Zickar (History)
SIOP Vision: To be recognized as the premier professional group committed to advancing the science and practice of the psychology of work.
SIOP Goals: SIOP will become the…
1. Visible and trusted authority on work-related psychology. This includes:
2. Advocate and champion of I-O psychology to policy makers. This includes:
3. Organization of choice of I-O professionals. This includes:
4. Model of integrated scientist–practitioner effectiveness that values research, practice, and education equally and seeks higher standards in all three areas.
Strategic Planning Goals: (Please highlight committee goals related to the advocacy of SIOP’s Strategic Planning Goals)
- To feature the annual conference in the July 2007 issue.
- To feature the Leading Edge conference in the January, 2008 issue.
- Cultivate an international community and promote awareness of international issues.
On-going Action: Submissions of a global nature are highlighted in the ‘Spotlight’ editorial column. A new editorial column on pro-social I-O debuted in January, 2008. Stuart Carr, Massey University, will feature interviews with leaders on issues related to global change of interest to I-Os.
- Evaluate member satisfaction with TIP and identify improvements.
On-going Action: The SIOP member survey results were analyzed and reviewed with former TIP editor, Laura Koppes. We identified several areas of improvements.
- Continue the excellence and quality established by predecessors.
On-going Action: Columns and submissions are carefully reviewed to determine appropriateness, relevance, and quality. Assistance is solicited from external reviewers when deemed necessary.
A new feature in TIP is the use of photos submitted by SIOP members for the cover. The idea is to recognize the creativity and talent of SIOP members. We have received much support for this change in the ‘look’ of TIP, and many photos are submitted for consideration for each issue.
- Select new student editors for the TIP-TOPics student column.
Completed Action: Former editor Laura Koppes and former student editors conducted a TIP-TOPics writing contest in order to select new column editors. As incoming editor, I participated in the selection. The new student TIP-TOPics editors (Clara Hess, Jenn Lindberg McGinnis, Reanna Poncheri, Jane Vignovic, Tara Behrend and Amy DuVernet) were chosen and have made regular column contributions.
- Ensure a smooth transition between former editor and new editor, effective April 2007.
Completed and On-going Action: Laura Koppes provided mentorship and allowed me to shadow her work developing the January 2007 and April 2007 issues. Thanks Laura!
Updates or Comments From Chair:
July 2007 was my first issue, starting a 3-year term.
All the TIP goals pertain to one or more of the SIOP strategic planning goals,
Editorial Board Change:
Stuart Carr and Sylvia Roch have joined the Editorial Board.
Thanks to all the editorial board members for their outstanding contributions. Thanks to contributors and reviewers for their hard work on featured articles. Thanks to President Lois Tetrick for the ‘Message From Your President’ column. I also thank Clif Boutelle, who provides regular columns and editorial support. A special thank you goes to the SIOP Administrative Office, especially Jen Baker and Dave Nershi, for their support and professionalism, in making my transition into this office a smooth one.