Headlines (click a link to go directly to the story)
Save the Date for SIOP's Upcoming Conferences!
Mark your calendars: Early registration for the 2012 SIOP Annual Conference will open in January, and you won't want to miss out! The 27th Annual Conference will be held April 26-28, 2012 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego. Preconference Workshops will take place April 25. You can view all of SIOP's upcoming conference on the SIOP Annual Conference page. Check the SIOP website in the coming months for more information!
Also, as winter approaches, take time to think about sunnier days in a tropical climate—like the 2014 SIOP annual conference, to be held in beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii!
The 2014 conference will take place at the Hilton Hawaiian Villages resort, 22 acres of oceanfront paradise that includes 5 pools (including Waikiki's largest Super Pool), diverse dining options (with 20 restaurants and lounges), and beautiful views.
Save the date and make plans for an extended stay!
back to top
SIOP Now Offering Research Access Service
SIOP has recently launched a new service that will offer members a complete package of online research access! This service is now available to members at a prorated cost of $25 for the partial inaugural year.
The SIOP Research Access service bundles three EBSCO Host research databases—Business Source Corporate, Psychology and Behavioral Science Collection, and SocIndex—with the SIOP Learning Center, making both services available to SIOP members at one low rate. SIOP has decided to offer the recently negotiated EBSCO access through the SIOP Research Access service, providing members a wider variety of publications as well as audio and visual research resources.
The EBSCO databases feature thousands of publications, including most that are highly sought after by SIOP's members, and the Learning Center features access to hundreds of audio and video files from previous SIOP Annual Conferences and Leading Edge Consortia. A complete list of EBSCO publications and Learning Center recordings available can be found on the publications index page.
back to top
SIOP Offers Employment Statistics Clarification
Data recently published online by the Wall Street Journal may have created confusion about the employment status of psychology majors and industrial-organizational psychology majors in particular.
A few weeks ago, the Journal posted to its website an interactive table titled “From College Major to Career,” which lists college majors along with the unemployment rates for those graduating with that major, the popularity of the major, as well as various salary statistics. The Journal's statistics indicated those obtaining bachelor’s degrees in industrial and organizational psychology have a 10.4 percent unemployment rate.
These figures have since been used in articles by The Huffington Post, CBS MoneyWatch, Forbes, NPR and others, but the image of I-O psychology presented by these statistics is misleading. It is important to understand that these statistics only refer to those obtaining terminal bachelor’s degrees—not those who have gone on to graduate school—and that the number of bachelor’s degrees in I-O psychology made up only 1 percent of the total bachelor’s degrees awarded in the field of psychology in 2009.
Read more about these employment figures and other facts about an I-O degree on the SIOP website.
back to top
Foundation Funding Deadline December 15
The SIOP Foundation is now accepting applications for the following funding opportunities:
- Small Grant Program. Provides a pool of $25,000 in funding for SIOP members in support of research-related activities that are of interest to both academics and practitioners. The maximum size for any one grant is $7,500.
- Graduate Student Scholarships (GSS). The SIOP Foundation will provide $12,500 of scholarships in 2012 to graduate students in I-O or a related field to assist students with the costs of carrying out their dissertation work. The top rated application will receive the Lee Hakel Scholarship designation, which comes with a $3,500 award. In honor of a SIOP legend, the Mary L. Tenopyr Graduate Student Scholarship will be awarded to the 2nd highest rated applicant, who will receive a $3,000 award. Two additional scholarships, each for $3,000, will also be awarded.
- Sidney A. Fine Grant for Research on Job Analysis. Supports research that will further the usefulness of analytic strategies to study jobs, especially as to the nature of job content and organizational structures in which work is performed. The maximum size of the grant awarded in 2012 will be $5,000.
Additional information regarding each opportunity's focus, eligibility criteria, and submission guidelines can be found here. Awards will be presented at the 27th SIOP Annual Conference in 2012 in San Diego.
Proposals can be submitted here by December 15, 2011. If you have any questions, please contact Awards Committee Chair Leaetta Hough at email@example.com.
back to top
Officer Election Deadline November 30
Voting for the newest additions to SIOP’s leadership is well underway. All voting is taking place online and will run though midnight EST November 30.
SIOP’s voting members received an e-mail at the beginning of November with instructions for voting and a list of the candidates. Voting members will be choosing who will fill the following Executive Board positions:
• Financial Officer/Secretary: Has executive oversight of SIOP finances, presents regular financial reports, develops budget and financial plans.
• Publications Officer: Professional Practice Series, Frontiers Series, the IOP journal, future book series or journals. Chairs Publications Board.
• Membership Services Officer: Encouraging and monitoring applications to join SIOP, recognition and award programs (including Fellows), Placement, LGBT and Ethnic and Minority Affairs committees.
The candidates, their bios, and goal statements may be found on the SIOP Election page. Remember, you can vote only once, so be sure to make your vote count!
back to top
'Tis the Season for Giving to the Foundation
The season of giving is now upon us. The SIOP Foundation is dedicated to making significant contributions to the growth and development of the science and practice of I-O psychology. Now is your chance to help secure the future of I–O Psychology by making a tax-deductible contribution toward an award, scholarship, or small grant.
It’s easy. Click here to donate online today!
You are urged to donate for the first time, or as a returning donor, you are encouraged to increase your contribution from last year. All support is greatly appreciated.
back to top
Note: To ensure proper delivery of our e-mails, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book, trusted sender list, or company white list.
SIOP © Copyright 2010 SIOP, INC.