New Year’s Resolutions to Help You Make the Most of Your I-O Career
As most of us get back to our regular routines after the holidays, many industrial-organizational psychologists are looking forward to a promising new year—complete with resolutions. 2013 offers a chance to better yourself, so make sure you start this year off right by making a New Year’s resolution to advance your career and the field of industrial-organizational psychology!
Below are SIOP’s tips for following through on your New Year’s resolution.
Advance your career by making plans to:
Attend the 28th Annual SIOP Conference- The 2013 SIOP Annual Conference will be held in Houston April 11-13, with workshops April 10. The culminating event of the year for SIOP members offers an expansive program that includes hundreds of presentations, posters, roundtables, and symposia; informative workshops and Friday seminars; several elegant receptions and consortia; and a chance for SIOP members to see old friends and meet new ones while discussing the newest research and news in their field. Register today and join us in Houston for a stimulating and exciting event!
Participate in the my.SIOP Community-Log on to SIOP.org and visit my.SIOP to begin interacting with other members and participating in the discussion. With my.SIOP you can communicate, keep up with news, share information, access your account, use SIOP resources, and collaborate all in one place. Take charge of your professional persona by filling in your complete biography and adding a profile photo. You can expand your member interaction with blogs, forums, and special interest groups, and keep up with committees and others through group pages. Share and collaborate using the library and wikis. The my.SIOP member community makes it easier than ever to find I-Os that share your interests by searching the tag cloud or locating someone on the Google map. You can also express yourself with your personal profile and blogs.
- Subscribe to the SIOP Research Access Service- This service makes three EBSCO Host research databases—Business Source Corporate, Psychology and Behavioral Science Collection, and SocIndex—as well as the SIOP Learning Center available to SIOP members. The EBSCO databases feature thousands of publications, including most that are highly sought after by SIOP's members. The Learning Center features access to hundreds of audio and video files from previous SIOP Annual Conferences and Leading Edge Consortia. Brush up on your I-O research with an all-access pass to the SIOP Research Access service!
- Mark your calendar for the 2013 Leading Edge Consortium-The Leading Edge Consortium is designed to be an intimate gathering on a specific topic in the field of I-O. The 9th annual consortium will revisit the most popular topic from LECs past: talent management. The event will be held October 18-19 in Richmond, VA at the Richmond Omni. The LEC is a practitioner-oriented event that gives attendees ample opportunities for networking, discussion, and active learning. Take the time to meet people who are interested and working on the same topic you are, share advice and experiences, and learn from the leaders in the field of talent management—mark your calendar for the 2013 LEC!
- Keep up-to-date on the latest research with I-O-related books and other publications-The SIOP Store offers the latest I-O books and other publications as well as SIOP gear, with members receiving a 20% discount on many titles. The Store offers a complete collection of the SIOP-sponsored book Organizational Frontiers and Professional Practice series as well as LEC DVDs, conference programs, and SIOP merchandise.
- Keep SIOP up-to-date on you!-Ensure you are receiving all of your member benefits, including publications, by updating your contact and professional information in your SIOP membership account. To update your information, simply log in to the SIOP.org and edit your profile information on my.SIOP by clicking “edit profile” in the left-hand column, clicking “edit” next to your name, and then clicking the “edit full profile” link at the top of the gray box.
- Participating in the Exchange-Begin a dialogue on an I-O topic that is important to you this year and share your opinions and resources on the SIOP Exchange blog.
Advance the field of industrial-organizational psychology by making plans to:
- Become a media resource-SIOP’s Media Resources Service allows reporters to find SIOP members who can serve as sources for stories published in national and local publications. Help the media and the public become informed about the field of I-O while showcasing the practical applications of I-O. Learn how to become a media resource here.
- Encourage a colleague to apply for a SIOP membership-SIOP is the premier professional organization for those involved in the field of industrial-organizational psychology. Members receive numerous benefits, including networking and visibility opportunities; high-quality programming; subscriptions to the Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice (IOP) journal, The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist (TIP) quarterly news publication, and Newsbriefs monthly e-newsletter; access to funding, awards and scholarship opportunities; and many more!
Support the SIOP Foundation-The SIOP Foundation is dedicated to making significant contributions to the growth and development of the science and practice of I-O psychology. You can help secure the future of I–O psychology by making a tax-deductible contribution toward an award, scholarship, or small grant through the SIOP Foundation. It’s easy to donate. Click here to donate online now. Watch a video message from Milt Hakel and Ann Howard about why you should donate here!
- Submit a commentary to the Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice (IOP)journal-The IOP journal, the official journal of SIOP, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to the practice and research in I-O psychology. The journal editorial board seeks a broad a range of perspectives and reactions and encourages all members to submit commentaries on posted focal articles. By submitting to the IOP journal, you are encouraging dialogue as well as knowledge sharing among I-Os and the community.
- Become a SIOP Partner- Any organization can support SIOP and the field of I-O psychology by becoming a SIOP Partner. The SIOP Partner Program offers numerous opportunities to put your company’s name in front of I-O psychologists from around the world while supporting the premier Society dedicated to furthering the interests of the field of I-O. Sponsor an event, such as a conference reception or special activity; place an ad in one of SIOP’s publications; or sponsor a particular item such as the conference bag. Learn more about the SIOP Partner Program on the SIOP Web site.