New Year’s Resolutions to Help You Make the Most out of Your I-O Career
As most of us get back to our regular routines after the holidays, many industrial-organizational psychologists are looking forward to a promising new year—complete with resolutions. 2012 offers a chance to better yourself, so make sure you start this year off right by making a New Year’s resolution to advance your career and the field of industrial-organizational psychology!
Below are SIOP’s tips for following through on your New Year’s resolution.
Advance your career by making plans to:
• Attend the 27th Annual SIOP Conference- The 2012 SIOP Annual Conference will be held in San Diego April 26-28, with workshops April 25. The culminating event of the year for SIOP members, offers an expansive program that includes hundreds of presentations, posters, roundtables, and symposiums; informative workshops and Friday seminars; several elegant receptions and consortia; and a chance for SIOP members to see old friends and meet new ones while discussing the newest research and news in their field. Register today and join us in San Diego for a stimulating and exciting event!
• Subscribe to the SIOP Research Access Service- This service makes three EBSCO Host research databases—Business Source Corporate, Psychology and Behavioral Science Collection, and SocIndex—as well as the SIOP Learning Center available to SIOP members. The EBSCO databases feature thousands of publications, including most that are highly sought after by SIOP's members. The Learning Center features access to hundreds of audio and video files from previous SIOP Annual Conferences and Leading Edge Consortia. Brush up on your I-O research with an all-access pass to the SIOP Research Access service!
• Mark your calendar for the 2012 Leading Edge Consortium-The Leading Edge Consortium is designed to be an intimate gathering on a specific topic in the field of I-O. The 8th annual consortium, on the topic “Advancing Environmental Sustainability at Work.” The event will be held in New Orleans at the Hotel Monteleone and the dates will be October 19-20. The LEC gives attendees ample opportunities for networking, discussion, and active learning. Take the time to meet people who are interested and working on the same topic you are, share advice and experiences, and learn from the leaders in the field of high-performance teams—mark your calendar for the 2012 LEC!
• Keep up-to-date on the latest research with I-O-related books and other publications-The SIOP Store offers the latest I-O books and other publications as well as SIOP gear, with members receiving a 20% discount on many titles. The Store offers a complete collection of the SIOP-sponsored book Organizational Frontiers and Professional Practice series as well as LEC DVDs, conference programs, and SIOP merchandise.
• Keep SIOP up-to-date on you!-Ensure you are receiving all of your member benefits, including publications, by updating your contact and professional information in your SIOP membership account. To update your information, simply login to the SIOP.org Web site and click on “Update Contact Information” on the left side of the screen.
• Participating in the Exchange and on the Wiki-Begin a dialogue on an I-O topic that is important to you this year and share your opinions and resources on the SIOP Exchange blog or on SIOP’s newest online development, the SIOP Wiki.
Advance the field of industrial-organizational psychology by making plans to:
• Become a media resource-SIOP’s Media Resources Service allows reporters to find SIOP members who can serve as sources for stories published in national and local publications. Help the media and the public become informed about the field of I-O while showcasing the practical applications of I-O.
• Encourage a colleague to apply for a SIOP membership-SIOP is the premier professional organization for those involved in the field of industrial-organizational psychology. Members receive numerous benefits, including networking and visibility opportunities; high-quality programming; subscriptions to the Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice (IOP) journal, The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist (TIP) quarterly news publication, and Newsbriefs monthly e-newsletter; access to funding, awards and scholarship opportunities; and many more!
• Support the SIOP Foundation-The SIOP Foundation is dedicated to making significant contributions to the growth and development of the science and practice of I-O psychology. You can help secure the future of I–O psychology by making a tax-deductible contribution toward an award, scholarship, or small grant through the SIOP Foundation. It’s easy to donate. Click here to donate online now. Watch a video message form Milt Hakel and Ann Howard about why you should donate here!
• Submit a commentary to the Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice (IOP) journal-The IOP journal, the official journal of SIOP, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to the practice and research in I-O psychology. The journal editorial board seeks a broad a range of perspectives and reactions and encourages all members to submit commentaries on posted focal articles. By submitting to the IOP journal, you are encouraging dialogue as well as knowledge sharing amongst I-Os and the community.
• Become a SIOP Partner- Any organization can support SIOP and the field of I-O psychology by becoming a SIOP Partner. The SIOP Partner Program offers numerous opportunities to put your company’s name in front of I-O psychologists from around the world while supporting the premier Society dedicated to furthering the interests of the field of I-O. Sponsor an event, such as a conference reception or special activity, or place an ad in one of SIOP’s publications, or sponsor a particular item such as the conference bag. Learn more about the SIOP Partner Program on the SIOP Web site.