Program Highlights for the 2012 APA Convention
It’s time to make plans to attend the 2012 APA Convention to be held in sunny Orlando, Florida from August 2-5, 2012 and participate in some of SIOP’s 26 hours of programming!
The 120th APA Convention will feature internationally known presenters on diverse psychological topics and programs highlighting the latest research findings. The annual convention is the largest gathering of psychologists and psychology students in the world, each year attracting 12,000-15,000 attendees from all areas of specialization in psychology and from research, practice, education, and policy.
SIOP will have a strong showing at the convention with 26 hours of programming, selected to appeal to both SIOP researchers and practitioners. Some of the session highlights include invited addresses from the 2012-2013 SIOP President Doug Reynolds, as well as from Tammy Allen, Kim Smith-Jentsch, and Mo Wang. Two of SIOP's current APA council representatives, Debbie Major and John Scott, will have a special session on SIOP's role in APA. SIOP will also continue the tradition of cosponsoring a joint social hour with APA Division 5: Evaluation, Measurement, and Statistics.
Below is a summary of the SIOP programming at this year’s APA convention, taken from the April 2012 TIP article by Karin A. Orvis, SIOP APA Program Chair, U.S. Army Research Institute (you can read the complete article here.)
Division 14 Program at the APA Conference
- Data-Driven Talent Management: Combining Psychology and Technology to Run Better Organizations (Doug Reynolds)
- Work–Family Research: Where Have We Been and Where Are We Going? (Tammy Allen)
- Retirement Research: Challenges and Opportunities (Mo Wang)
- Who Are We?: Results From the SIOP Membership Survey Shed Light on Our Professional Identity (Kim Smith-Jentsch)
- Relational Social Capital: Positive and Negative Interpersonal Work Relationships
- Expanding the Horizons of Dysfunctional Leadership in the Workplace
- A Blended Approach to Training: Job Analyses and Competency Models
- Bias in Organizational Decisions and Perceptions: Gender, Ethnicity, and Culture
- Factors Affecting Individual Self-Regulation and Learning Processes
- Innovation in Job Analysis: Creative Solutions to Unique Challenges
- Global Perspectives on Leadership Development: Current Research and Organizational Applications
- Advances in Understanding Work–Family Conflict
- Teaching Teamwork: Integrating Innovative Science Into the Classroom
- Advances in Understanding Work Stress
- Academia and Assessment Centers: Preparing Students for Their Next Career
- Change in a Military Setting: An Agile and Adaptive Approach to Change Management
- Using Social Network Profiles in Hiring: Do We Know Enough?
- Persisting Realities of Women in the Higher Ed Workplace
- Advances in Understanding Job Satisfaction, Affect, and Motivation
- Advances in Understanding Predictors and Personnel Selection Methods
You can download a PDF of SIOP’s full programming here. To view programming for all of the APA divisions, visit the convention programming page here.
We hope to see you this summer in Orlando!
APA Program Committee for the 2012 APA Convention
C. Shawn Burke
|Debra Major |
Whitney Botsford Morgan
Karin Orvis (Chair)
Shonna Waters (Co-chair)