SWA Consulting Inc.
Industry, Gov., Consulting
2014 Summer Intern in Training and Development
About the Organization
SWA Consulting Inc. is a consulting and applied research firm
with a straightforward but powerful mission, to make a
difference in learning and performance for individuals and
organizations. We focus on improving the learning and
performance processes to help our clients reach and maintain their
peak of success. SWA accomplishes this mission by applying the
principles, research, and methods of I/O psychology to provide
analytics and evidence-based solutions for clients. As of this
spring, SWA offers web-delivered, evidence-based solutions to
improve the learning enterprise, allowing us to leverage our
experience and expertise to better service our clients. Our main
practice areas are (1) work analysis and related HR solutions; (2)
learning and development; and (3) performance and assessment.
SWA was founded in 1997 and is led by SIOP members Dr. Eric A.
Surface and Dr. Stephen J. Ward. We employ I/O psychologists and
other professionals who are committed to the scientist-practitioner
model of integrating science and practice to make a difference for
our clients. As we value an evidence-based perspective, research is
important to us, and our team members have been published in
peer-reviewed journals, such as Journal of Applied
Psychology, Personnel Psychology and
Organizational Research Methods, and have presented at
numerous conferences, including SIOP.
We are based in Raleigh, NC, which was ranked as the No. 1 Best
Place to Live in America (Businessweek.com, 2011, June), the No. 2
Best Place for Business and Careers (Forbes.com, 2012, June), and
the No. 3 Best Cities in America for Health and Happiness
(EcoSalon, 2012, March).
About the Job
We are seeking an intern for our 2014 Summer Internship in
Training and Development. This position is a great opportunity for
an advanced PhD student or ABD who is currently enrolled in a
graduate degree program in I/O psychology, a related social science
discipline, or an adult education program; has conducted research
on learning or development-related topics; and is interested in
obtaining applied research, product development, and consulting
experience related to learning and development processes. This is a
Project areas include, but are not limited to, working on learning
and development-related research or product development; assessment
or metric development; training needs assessment; or training
As an intern, you may assist with tasks including, but not limited
to, the following:
- Conduct literature reviews on learning and development
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative data analysis with
individual differences and learning/development process and outcome
- Participate in product development efforts.
- Participate in research related to product development or
- Outline, write, and edit technical reports, research reports,
and white papers for clients and conferences.
- Prepare and deliver presentations and briefings for internal
and external clients.
- Develop and pitch a research project, product, or product
feature based on the literature or empirical analysis of our
- Currently enrolled in a Doctoral degree program in I/O
Psychology, Educational Research, Adult Education, Evaluation, or
related social science or education discipline. At least two years
of graduate coursework and a master’s thesis should be completed by
the time the internship begins.
- Master thesis on a learning or development-related topic
o Preferred. Plans to or has a proposal
to conduct a dissertation on a learning or development-related
- Coursework in inferential statistics and measurement.
o Preferred. Coursework in statistical
techniques, such as structural equation modeling (SEM),
hierarchical linear modeling (HLM), and meta-analysis.
o Preferred. Coursework related to
learning and development processes (broadly defined): learning,
training, motivation, goal-setting, self-regulation, learning
criteria/outcomes, transfer, development, feedback, coaching,
principles of adult education, etc.
- Interest and desired career focus on learning and
development-related topics (broadly defined).
- Critical thinking and analysis skills, including integration,
evaluation, and synthesis.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently.
- Experience with Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, Word,
- Graduate-level coursework and/or applied experience in
statistical analysis, including experience with statistical
programming packages (e.g., SPSS) and the ability to learn new
statistical programming packages.
- Graduate-level coursework and/or applied experience in areas
related to learning, training, development, performance feedback
and/or adult education.
- Experience with SYSTAT statistical programming packages.
- Experience with Mplus and HLM statistical programming
- Experience with IRT.
Limited travel may be required for certain projects.
U.S. citizenship may be required for this position, per
the requirements of our contracts with the Federal
Cover letter, resume, and application required. To access the
application for this position, which will allow you to submit your
cover letter and resume, please visit the following website: