Descriptions of SIOP
Sponsored by the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Inc.*
and presented as part of the 15th Annual Conference of the Society
for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Inc.
Thursday, April 13, 2000
Hyatt Regency New Orleans
Continuing education and workshop committee:
Karen B. Paul (Chair), 3M
James Eyring, Arthur Andersen Business Consulting
Kris Fenlason, Questar
Blake A. Frank, University Of Dallas
Alberto Galu, GTE Service Corporation
Ed Kahn, Royal Dutch/Shell Group
Kalen Pieper, Bristol-Myers Squibb
Luis F. Parra, William M. Mercer, Inc.
Jack Kennedy, Brecker & Merryman
Joan R. Rentsch, The University of Tennessee
Steven Robison, The Dow Chemical Company
Irene Sasaki, The Dow Chemical Company
William Shepherd, Personnel Decisions International
Mick Sheppeck, University of St. Thomas
Jeffery Stanton, Bowling Green State University
Karla Stuebing, FSD Data Services
Stephen Wunder, The Kingwood Group, Inc.
* The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Inc. is approved
by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education for
psychologists. The APA-Approved Sponsor maintains responsibility for the
program. Seven (7) hours of continuing education credit are awarded for
participation in two (2) half-day Workshops.
Thursday, April 13, 2000
For detailed information on each workshop, click on the blue
1. Why Should a CEO Listen to You? The Perils and Opportunities
of an I-O Practitioner by Anthony J. Rucci, University of Illinois at Chicago. Coordinator: Luis F. Parra.
2. Creating An Integrated, Global, Competency-Based HR System
by Charles V. Bell, Stephen W. Constantin, and Kenneth R. Pederson, The Dow Chemical Company. Coordinator: Irene Sasaki.
Beyond the Validation Study: Avoiding Practical Pitfalls When
Implementing a Selection System, by Mark Schmit, Personnel Decisions International, and Ann Marie Ryan, Michigan State University.
Coordinator: William Shepherd.
4. Innovations in Selection: Use of Conditional Reasoning to
by Lawrence R.
James and Michael D. McIntyre, The University of Tennessee and Innovative
Assessment Technology, and James M. LeBreton, The University of Tennessee.
Coordinator: Joan R. Rentsch.
5. Implementing Web-Based HR Systems: From Recruitment to
Surveys and Beyond by Nathan Mondragon and Scott Eriksson, graymattermedia inc. and John Furcon, PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Coordinator: Jeffrey Stanton.
6. EEO/Legal Update: What You Really Need to Know by Keith M.
Pyburn, Jr., McCalla, Thompson, Pyburn, Hymowitz & Shapiro, LLP, and William W. Ruch, Psychological Services, Inc. Coordinator:
7. Identifying and Developing High-Potential Talent by Elaine B.
Sloan and Paul VanKatwyk, Personnel Decisions International, and Scott
Gregory, Pentair. Coordinator: Alberto Galu.
8. Utilizing Strategic Psychological Assessment for Executive
Selection and Coaching by Rob Silzer, HR Assessment and Development,
Inc., and Pierre G. Meyer, MDA Consultants, Inc. Coordinator: Stephen Wunder.
9. Mergers and Acquisitions: The Human Issues and How Change
Agents/Consultants Can Help by David A.Whitsett, University of Northern Iowa. Coordinator: Blake A. Frank
10. What is Knowledge Management and Why Should I Care? by
Erick Thompson, West Group. Coordinator: Karla Stuebing.
11. Linking and Modeling: Unleashing the Value of Employee Survey
Data by William H. Macey and Diane Daum, Personnel Research Associates. Coordinator: Kris Fenlason.
12. Learnings From the Forefront of Large Systems Change by Gary
Jusela, Equiva Services and Nancy Lloyd Badore, The River Lane Company. Coordinator: Ed Kahn.
13. The Changing Role of Human Resources Meets the I-O
Practitioner; Thinking and Acting Like an Executive by Phil Jury,
Safelite Auto Glass Corporation and Dick Beatty, Princeton. Coordinator: Mick
14. Retaining Valued Employees: Robust and Promising Methods for
Improving Retention by Peter W. Hom, Arizona State University and Rodger W. Griffeth, Georgia State University. Coordinator: Jack
15. Leaders Developing Leaders: A Strategy for Change by Charles
Tharp, Steve Sadove, Ben E. Dowell, Peter Fasolo, Ginger L. Gregory and Kalen
F. Pieper, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company. Coordinator: Kalen Pieper.
16. Practicing HR and I-O Across Cultures: The Human Touch by Miriam
Erez, Technion_Israel and Vicki Pollman, Caltex_Singapore. Coordinator: James
Workshop Table of Contents || SIOP Home