SIOP Conference Placement Center: What You Need To Know
Karen M. Barbera
Personnel Research Associates
Irene A. Sasaki
The Dow Chemical Company
SIOP will offer job placement services at its annual conference. To use the Conference Placement Center, you must be registered for both the conference and the Conference Placement Center. (Please do not confuse SIOPs JobNet with the Conference Placement Center. Registration in the SIOP JobNet may not be substituted for Conference Placement Service registration.) To benefit fully from the service, both job seekers and employers should register in advance.
Key Features of This Years Conference Placement Center
- The center is once again being run as a fully online process. Paper copies of the resumes and job postings will NOT be offered on site. It is to your advantage to register early and to conduct as much of your search as possible online prior to the conference.
- A bank of computers will be available in the Placement Center for searching the database. These will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis with time restrictions imposed if lines exist. It is recommended that you bring a laptop to the conference if you have one. The conference hotels have Internet access within the guest rooms.
The Conference Placement Center preregistration will be done online from the SIOP Web site. Some key facts:
- Job seekers and employers will enter/upload resumes and/or job descriptions into password-protected databases. You will be able to conduct keyword searches of the database enabling you to identify the jobs or job seekers that best fit your needs.
- You will have access to the appropriate database until May 31, 2004 and will be able to search the database and print the relevant resumes or job descriptions.
- Bring the relevant resumes or job descriptions to the conference. Booklets containing resumes or job descriptions will NOT be provided at the conference. Only limited printing facilities will be available at the computer stations within the center, and restrictions on the amount of printing will be imposed.
- Private mailbox numbers will be e-mailed along with Placement Center registration confirmation.
- Resumes are limited to TWO (2) pages and job descriptions to FOUR (4) pages.
- If you are registering anonymously, click the appropriate box on the online registration form, and do not enter your resume or job description.
- It is to your advantage to register at least 2 weeks prior to the conference to allow job seekers/employers sufficient time to search the database and print out your postings/resumes.
Who May Register for Placement Services
SIOPs Conference Center is open to member and nonmember job seekers who are registered for the conference. Organizations may submit position openings for which I-O training and experience are relevant. Listings may be for full- or part-time positions and/or internships. All individuals who are involved in recruiting in the center must be registered for the conference.
The registration fee for SIOP Student Affiliate job/internship seekers is $40.00, for SIOP member job/internship seekers $45.00, and for nonmember job/internship seekers $100.00. The employer registration fee is $135.00 and covers one or more positions.
No refunds will be given for cancellations.
Note: Students who are not SIOP Student Affiliates will need to register at the nonmember rate of $100.
Helpful Information for Job Seekers
Visit the Conference Placement Center section of the SIOP Web site for information on using the Placement Center and enhancing your job search process. Useful tips on resume writing and interviewing are provided there that may be particularly helpful for new entry-to-market job seekers of applied positions. Tips and guidance on applying for positions in academia are also provided. See also the article in the January issue of
TIP on this same issue.
Job Seeker and Employer Information After the Conference
Access to the Web site to view job seeker and employer information will be available beginning 1 week after the conference to those interested in this option. The cost is $65.00 for access to the resumes and $40.00 for access to the job postings. Paper copies of the resumes and job postings are not available. Also remember that your access to the database extends through May 31, 2004.
Contact the SIOP Administrative Office at 419-353-0032.
Click to go to the Placement Center
Registration Book Table of Contents
To return to a current registration process, if you have started it,