SIOP Placement Center: What You Need To Know
Texas A&M University
SIOP offers job placement services at its annual conference. To use the Placement Center, you must be registered for both the conference and the Placement Center. To get the most out of the Placement Center, we encourage both job (or internship) seekers and employers to register at least 2 weeks in advance.
Please keep in mind that SIOP’s JobNet and the Placement Center are separate services. Registration in JobNet cannot be substituted for registration in the conference Placement Center. If you are currently registered in JobNet and want to utilize the Placement Center, you must register for this service through the conference Web site.
Key Features of the Placement Center
• Placement Center is an opportunity for job seekers and employers to mutually schedule times to meet and discuss positions. Placement Center does not schedule interviews or screen candidates. Placement Center administers the job description/resumé database, registration for the service, and the space used at the conference.
• All resumés and job postings are online—no paper copies will be available at the conference. It is to your advantage to register early and to conduct as much of your search as possible online prior to the conference. Job seekers and employers can access the Placement Center database online through the SIOP Web page once you have registered for the service.
• A bank of computers will be available in the Placement Center to search the database during the conference. These will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis with time restrictions imposed during busy periods. If you have a laptop, we recommended that you bring it to the conference so you can conduct searches in the convenience of your hotel room.
• Mailbox numbers will be e-mailed along with your Placement Center registration confirmation. Mailboxes are one means of communicating with employers/job seekers. Mailboxes are physically located in the Placement Center at the conference hotel; we do not yet have electronic mailboxes. You should include your e-mail address on messages if you would like to use electronic communication during the conference.
Registration and Important Points
Preregistration for the Placement Center is through the SIOP conference registration Web page. Some important points:
• Job seekers and employers will upload resumés and/or job descriptions into password-protected databases. You will be able to conduct searches of the database and identify the jobs or candidates that best fit your needs.
• You will be able to conduct searches and print resumés/job descriptions until June 30, 2007.
• Bring extra copies of your resumés or job descriptions with you to the conference because hard copies are not available on site, and printing capability is limited.
• Resumés are limited to TWO (2) pages and job descriptions to FOUR (4) pages.
• If you are registering anonymously, click the appropriate box on the online registration form. Do NOT upload your resumé or job description.
• We recommend that you register at least 2 weeks prior to the conference to allow job seekers/employers sufficient time to search the database and print out your job descriptions/resumés.
Who May Register for Placement Services
SIOP’s Placement Center is open to member and nonmember job seekers who are registered for the conference. Organizations and universities may submit position openings for which I-O training and experience are relevant. Listings may be for full- or part-time positions and/or internships.
The Placement Center registration fee for SIOP Student Affiliate job seekers is $40, for SIOP Member job seekers $45, and for any nonmember job seekers $100 (including students who are not SIOP Student Affiliates). The employer registration fee is $200 and covers up to four (4) positions. No refunds will be given for cancellations.
Helpful Information for Job Seekers and Employers
Visit the Placement Center section of the SIOP conference Web site for:
• Information on using the Placement Center, including photos from last year’s facility.
• Useful tips on resumé writing and interviewing that may be particularly helpful for new job seekers of applied and academic positions.
• Tips for employers on writing job descriptions.
Access to the Database Without Participating in the Placement Center
An option is available to those interested in accessing the job seeker or employer databases without participating in the Placement Center. Access to the Web site is available 1 week after the conference through June 30, 2007. The cost is $150 to access resumés and $40 to access job postings. Paper copies of the resumés and job postings are not available.
Contact the SIOP Administrative Office at 419-353-0032.
Click to go to the Placement Center
Return to conference page
To return to a current registration process, if you have started it, click here