New Year’s Resolutions to Help You Make the Most of Your I-O Career
by Stephany Schings, Communications Manager
As the holiday season comes to a close, many industrial-organizational psychologists may be looking forward to a promising new year. 2010 offers a chance to better yourself—make sure you start this year off right by making a New Year’s resolution to advance your career and the field of industrial-organizational psychology!
Below are SIOP’s tips for following through on your New Year’s resolution.
Advance your career:
• Attend the 25th Annual SIOP Conference- The 2010 SIOP Annual Conference will be held in Atlanta, GA from April 8-10, with workshops on the 7th. The culminating event of the year for SIOP members, the conference offers hundreds of presentations on a variety of topics pertinent to the I-O field as well as a chance to learn about the newest research and practice in the company of old friends and new ones. A southern destination that is sure to please, Atlanta has much to offer: visit underground Atlanta for historic tours, restaurants, and specialty stores; see a Broadway show; visit one of the many cultural or historical sites including the Atlanta History Center, Fernbank Museum of Natural History, or the Marietta Historic District; or site see at the Georgia Aquarium or New World of Coca-Cola. This year will mark the 25th anniversary of the SIOP conference. Join fellow SIOP members to celebrate!
• Subscribe to the Learning Center-Take the time to catch up on your favorite sessions and presentations this year or learn something new by subscribing to the SIOP Learning Center. The Learning Center consolidates annual conference and Leading Edge Consortium (LEC) media into a complete audio/visual library of I-O research presentations and reference materials. The Center gives subscribers access to hundreds of recorded sessions and presentations from SIOP’s annual conference as well as the LEC, a smaller gathering based around one specific I-O topic. Subscribers can download streaming audio beginning with SIOP’s 2005 conference as well as audio and video from all of the LEC presentations. The LEC recordings also include access to PowerPoint presentations and notes.
• Join Consultant Locator-Promote your consulting work and earn new clients by joining the SIOP Consultant Locator System. The Consultant Locator offers professionals a platform for showcasing their unique abilities and services and sharing them with people looking for exactly what you offer. With a subscription to Consultant Locator, you can create your own personalized profile so potential clients can find you by your location and specific areas of expertise. Help clients find you by joining the Consultant Locator today!
• Mark your calendar for the 2010 Leading Edge Consortium-The Leading Edge Consortium is designed to be an intimate gathering on a specific topic in the field of I-O. The 6th annual consortium, on the topic “Developing and Enhancing High-Performance Teams,” will take place October 22-23 in Tampa, FL at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay Hotel. The LEC gives attendees ample opportunities for networking, discussion, and active learning. Take the time to meet people who are interested and working on the same topic you are, share advice and experiences, and learn from the leaders in the field of high-performance teams—mark your calendar for the 2010 LEC.
• Keep up to date on the latest research with I-O-related books and other publications-The newly designed SIOP Store offers the latest I-O books and other publications as well as SIOP gear, with members receiving a 20% discount on many titles. The store offers a complete collection of the SIOP-sponsored Organizational Frontiers and Professional Practice book series as well as LEC DVDs, conference programs, and SIOP merchandise.
• Keep us up-to-date-Ensure you are receiving all of your member benefits, including publications, by updating your contact and professional information in your SIOP membership account. To update your information, simply login to the SIOP.org Web site and click on “Update Contact Information” on the left side of the screen.
• Participate in the Exchange-Begin a dialogue on an I-O topic that is important to you this year and share your opinions on SIOP’s blog, the SIOP Exchange.
Advance the field of industrial-organizational psychology:
• Become a media resource-SIOP’s Media Resources Service allows reporters to find SIOP members who can serve as sources for stories published in national and local publications. Help the media and the public become informed about the field of I-O while showcasing the practical applications of I-O.
• Encourage a colleague to apply for a SIOP membership-SIOP is the premier professional organization for those involved in the field of industrial-organizational psychology. Members receive numerous benefits, including networking and visibility opportunities; high-quality programming; subscriptions to the Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice (IOP) journal, The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist (TIP) quarterly news publication, and Newsbriefs monthly e-newsletter; access to funding, awards, and scholarship opportunities; and many more!
• Support the SIOP Foundation-The SIOP Foundation is dedicated to making significant contributions to the growth and development of the science and practice of I-O psychology. You can help secure the future of I–O psychology by making a tax-deductible contribution toward an award, scholarship, or small grant through the SIOP Foundation. It’s easy to donate. Click here to donate online now.
• Submit a commentary to the Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice (IOP) journal-The IOP journal, the official journal of SIOP, is a peer-reviewed journal dedicated to the practice and research in I-O psychology. The journal editorial board seeks a broad a range of perspectives and reactions and encourages all members to submit commentaries on posted focal articles. By submitting to the IOP journal, you are encouraging dialogue as well as knowledge sharing among I-Os and the community.
• Become a SIOP Partner- Any organization can support SIOP and the field of I-O psychology by becoming a SIOP Partner. The SIOP Partner Program offers numerous opportunities to put your company’s name in front of I-O psychologists from around the world while supporting the premier society dedicated to furthering the interests of the field of I-O. Sponsor an event, such as a conference reception or special activity, or place an ad in one of SIOP’s publications, or sponsor a particular item such as the conference bag. Learn more about the SIOP Partner Program on the SIOP Web site.