So Excited About San Diego! This Is Why…
2012 Program Chair
2012 Conference Chair
As San Diego is just around the corner, we thought we would remind you of some of the things that have us especially excited about this year’s conference (see the January 2012 issue of TIP for more comprehensive descriptions).
- How does reconnecting with friends (and meeting new ones) poolside sound to you about now? We thought so. Weather permitting, the Welcome Reception will be on the pool deck. For you newcomers to SIOP (welcome!) there will be a newcomer event preceding the all-conference welcome reception.
- Opening Plenary: In addition to congratulating the new SIOP Fellows and award winners and hearing words of wisdom from President Adrienne Colella, come see the many ways we will be integrating this year’s conference theme: “Impact.”
- Theme Track: A full day of programming focused around the topic of discrimination. The day kicks off with a keynote address by Jacqueline Berrien, Chair of the EEOC.
- At our evening reception on Thursday, join us for the Top Poster exhibition and take advantage of opportunities to engage in some entertaining (not mandatory!) networking activities.
- 10:30: Invited Address: “Women as Leaders: Negotiating the Labyrinth.” Alice Eagly,
- 3:30: Invited Panel: “Managing the Aging Workforce: Challenges and Opportunities.” Franco Fraccaroli, Lisa Finkelstein, Annet de Lange, Ruth Kanfer, José Peiro, Donald Truxillo, and Mo Wang
- 10:30: 2nd Annual IGNITE Lightning Round: “I-O Psychology’s Impact on People’s Working Lives.” Steven Ashworth, Julian Barling, Michael Campion, Allan Church, Autumn Krauss (chair), Jeff McHenry, Elaine Pulakos, Steven Rogelberg, Mark Schmit, William Shepherd, Nancy Tippins
- 1:30: Invited Panel: “Large Scale Impact in Intelligence, National Security, and Defense.” Elizabeth Kolmstetter (Office of Director of National Intelligence), Stephanie Platz-Vieno (CIA), John Mills (Dept. of Defense), Jeffery Neal (ICF International)
- 3:30: Invited Address: “Working as Human Nature.” Howard Weiss
- 4:30: Closing Plenary with Keynote Address by Albert Bandura. How can you pass up an opportunity to hear from the most heavily cited living psychologist (and the fourth most frequently cited psychologist of all time)?!
- 6:15: Closing reception, featuring the tastes, sights, and sounds of a true beach party. This is the perfect way to cap off the SIOP experience.
Throughout the Program
- Master Tutorials
- Communities of Interest
- Master Collaboration
- Over 700 concurrent peer-reviewed sessions!
All this on the gorgeous Hyatt property. You will be just 10 minutes from the airport but in the heart of San Diego. Walk out the doors into a seaside village, meander down the street to the Gaslamp Quarter, and ferry hop to Coronado Island. Or just enjoy some sessions, many with terrace views and open windows—the best way to take in science–practice. See you there!