Review 2019 activities and 2020 advocacy opportunities here
SIOP’s government relations and public policy initiatives focus on raising awareness of the importance of industrial and organizational psychology science and research in policy discussions, educating federal and congressional policy makers, and providing SIOP members with a voice in our nation’s capital.
Lewis-Burke Associates LLC, a leading federal government relations firm in Washington, DC, has been assisting SIOP with the implementation of its public policy goals since 2013. Lewis-Burke staff work in collaboration with SIOP’s President, Past President, President-Elect, Research and Science Portfolio Officer, and Executive Director, as well as the Government Relations Advocacy Team (GREAT). To prioritize government relations activities, SIOP leadership has identified the following guiding principles, which represent the Society’s core values and serve as the first measure for engaging in advocacy activities:
- SIOP seeks to increase external credibility for I-O with federal policy makers to promote the application and implementation of I-O in federal policies, programs, and decision-making.
- SIOP supports the qualified use of evidence-based practices involving workforce issues and advocates for the education of policy-making bodies on the science of the workplace.
- SIOP supports the responsible adoption of innovation in the workplace, provided it is rooted in scientific evidence and advocates for the sharing of the evidence base behind innovations.
- SIOP supports the use of science to support diversity and inclusion practices in the workplace and advocates for the adoption of evidence-based practices to foster effective workplace cultures.
- SIOP supports the use of reliable and valid assessments for the selection, management and evaluation of workers and advocates for the adoption of evidence-based assessment.
- SIOP supports the expansion of funding for workplace sciences research and advocates for further study of workforce and workplace topics for the betterment of employee lives and organizational efficiency worldwide.
- SIOP supports the expansion of access to education and training for the global workforce and advocates for additional funding for work-based learning and development initiatives.
Together, these guiding principles represent a core set of values espoused by SIOP. SIOP’s partnership with Lewis-Burke is fundamental for furthering these principles in Washington by giving the Society a strong, consistent voice at the federal level; allowing the Society to respond quickly when action is needed; and ensuring that SIOP has a constant presence within the science community through participation in coalitions.
SIOP encourages its members to stay informed and involved with SIOP government relations through regular updates in SIOP publications, including the "SIOP in Washington" column in The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist. We also encourage members to read "Improving Federal Legislation and Policy with the Science of the Workplace and Workforce,” which further explains SIOP’s government relations goals and intentions.
For more information about SIOP's government relations efforts, please contact the SIOP Administrative Office at 419-353-0032.