SIOP 2021 Student Travel Award
If you are a current Student member of SIOP who is a first author, co-chair, panelist, discussant, or presenter for an accepted submission to the SIOP Annual Conference, please consider applying for the SIOP Student Travel Award. Eligible students will receive an email within a week of the submission notices.
The purpose of the travel award program is to help psychology graduate students travel to the Annual SIOP Conference, to present their work and participate in the 3-day conference.
Description and Size of Award
SIOP typically provides 10 students $500 each to support their travel to the annual conference.
Selection of Recipients and Administration of Award
The Awards Committee chair will appoint a subcommittee chair for the Student Travel Award Subcommittee. The subcommittee will consist of at least four SIOP members who are not members of the SIOP Foundation Board or the SIOP Executive Board.
This subcommittee will be responsible for evaluating the eligibility of applicants, the quality of applications, and determining the award recipients.
• Applicants must be in good standing in a graduate program related to I-O psychology at a regionally accredited university or college
• Applicants must be student members of SIOP. Students who are not members must apply for affiliation when submitting materials for the Travel Award.
• Applicants must be a first author, co-chair, panelist, discussant, or presenter on at least one accepted submission of any type to the SIOP conference program.
• Each university or department may endorse no more than two students for the travel award. If more than two students from a department wish to apply for these funds, the department must perform an initial screening and provide endorsement letters to only two students. By endorsing an application, departments are confirming that the student is in good standing.
Applications will be accepted until: February 12, 2021.
The Travel Award Subcommittee will examine all applications for eligibility and the following required documents:
• Complete the Student Travel Award Application form. The form should be downloaded and the following information saved into the interactive PDF. Once complete, the applicant should return to the award application website to upload the form and the endorsement letter from the program representative.
• Career type: academic or applied
• University Affiliation and address
• Degree program
• Degree type
• Expected graduation date
• Grade point average
• Research experience
• Upcoming conference accepted contributions
• Contributions to articles, book chapters, conference presentations, etc.
• Practical experience; internships, applied projects, teaching experience
• Projected travel expenses
• One-page maximum letter of endorsement from the program representative stating the applicant is 1 of the 2 endorsed students and attesting to the student’s standing in the program
Criteria for Judging Submissions
Awards will be distributed on the basis of both need (as determined by available support, distance from conference, etc.) and merit (as demonstrated by research and practical experiences and products, number of submissions to the conference, etc.). The committee will strive to make awards to students with plans to enter both academic and practice-oriented careers from a variety of institutional affiliations.
Award recipients will be announced no later than March 19, 2021. The travel award check will be mailed to the student within 10 days of the award notification or 10 days of the conference registration being paid. NOTE: Early registration deadline is February 18, 2021.
Updated: January 7th 2021