Reference in this policy to “we,” “us,” or “our,” means SIOP. Where we refer to “you” or “your” in this policy, we mean the individual user that browses, accesses, and uses our Sites.
Personal information is any information that identifies you personally, such as your name, email address, mailing address, or other data that can be reasonably linked to this information, such as the information you provide when you create a user account and profile on our site.
Non-Personal information is information recorded about a user that does not reference an individual user.
Anyone who accesses our websites (Sites).
Information We Collect
We collect information when you visit, browse, and access our Sites. You may browse our Sites with or without registering for or signing into a user account. The information we collect, and how that information is used, depends on how you use our Sites, the services you choose to engage in, and the information you provide us.
Browsing Our Website
When you visit our Sites, we collect the following information which helps us to enhance and optimize the user experience.
- Internet protocol address.
- Application, internet browser, and device type used to access the Sites; Location data and web information from cookies.
User Account and Profile
When you create a user account on our Site to become a SIOP member or otherwise use our services (hereinafter, each such user), we will collect the following information from you, which is required to establish a user account and profile with SIOP:
- first name
- last name
- email address
- mail address type
- mailing address
- postal/zip code
- telephone number
Applying for Membership
When applying for society membership, SIOP will collect the following information to evaluate membership eligibility, in addition to the above information.
- university affiliations
- employer name
- date of birth
- country location for the university you attend or attended
- state location for the university you attend or attended
- university institution name for the university you attend or attended
- university degree type
- university major field of study
- university actual graduation date
- expected university graduation date, if applicable
- name displayed on university diploma
You also have the option to provide SIOP with any of the following information in your user profile, which is entirely voluntary, and is used by SIOP to enhance your user experience and for statistical purposes, including understanding the professional history and demographics of our members:
- employer types
- year started in the field
- interest areas
- twitter username
- linkedIn username
- professional licenses and certifications
- registry participation
- profile image
SIOP will retain user account information that is necessary to conduct day-to-day association business for the purposes of administering your account, including:
- User email history of sent items including marketing materials
- User sales history, dues, workshops, event purchases and registrations, research access purchases, merchandise purchases and donations.
- Membership type and progression
- User committee service history
- User submitted award documents
- Whether the user is an award recipient
- Conference submission materials and participants
- Sterling Circle membership status
Optional User Services
SIOP users have the option to opt in for the following services, which a user may opt out of at any time:
- Having your primary U.S. based postal address included in mailing list rentals to I-O product and service providers.
- Being included on the mailing list for a print copy of Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice (IOP).
- Receiving the practice update or other e-newsletters.
- Having your name included in any one or all of the following:
- media resource service
- consultant locator
- health, safety, and well-being registry
- advocacy registry
- corporate social responsibility & humanitarian/prosocial I-O
How We Use Information
We will use your Non-Personal Information to ensure that our services and Sites are working as intended, to improve and optimize your user experience, and to track and troubleshoot outages or problems with our services or Sites. We will also use your Non-Personal Information to measure the performance of our Sites and to improve upon our services.
We use Personal Information we collect from you, including your name, email address, or mailing address, to communicate in response to your inquiries of us. We use your Personal Information, including payment card information when you register for SIOP membership or make other purchases/donation, for purposes of completing the payment transaction.
SIOP provides personal data from members and event attendees to trusted third parties to provide aggregate data analysis and the fulfillment of member services. We will only transfer your personal data to third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect to the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
We utilize cookies each time you access our Sites. Cookies are small files that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser, to enable us to recognize you when you return to our website. Depending upon your Internet browser type, you may have the option to block cookies, including those used on our Sites. Blocking or rejecting cookies from our Sites will prevent you from engaging in certain functions and services offered on our Sites.
How We Share Information
- The SIOP member directory is only available to SIOP members within a members-only section of the Site. All member names are listed in the directory, but each member has the option to choose if their address, email or phone numbers are viewable in the directory.
- To protect against potential fraud, we will verify information collected from the Sites with our trusted third party business partners. During such verification process, we will receive Personal Information about you from such third party business partners. In particular, if you use a credit card or debit card to purchase services from us, we will utilize payment card authorization and fraud screening services to verify that your payment card information and address match the information that you supplied to us, and to verify that the payment card has not been reported as lost or stolen.
- Except as otherwise prohibited by applicable law, we also share your name, email address, and status as a member or non-member (if your membership has lapsed) with our third party newsletter services provider in order to enable us to provide you with the newsletters you are entitled to as part of your membership. The newsletter contains targeted advertisements.
“Do Not Track” Signal
The Site does not respond or otherwise recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking or “Do Not Track” signals.
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. You hereby acknowledge and agree that any information that you provide and transfer to SIOP is being done at your own risk. Credit card information is transmitted using secure socket layer (SSL) encryption. In the event of a data breach, SIOP will, in accordance with applicable law, notify the relevant authorities of such incidents.
If all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the Personal and Non-Personal Information collected via the Sites.
Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
SIOP is concerned about the safety of children that use the Internet and will never knowingly request personal information from anyone under the age of 13. Users of our website must be at least 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, you should leave the SIOP Sites and under no circumstances should you provide us with any personal information. If as a parent or guardian of a child, you suspect that your child may have provided us with personal information, please contact us at the address provided below to have such information deleted and destroyed. Users within the European Union (“EU”) that are “minors” as defined by applicable EU law shall not use SIOP Sites or provide any information to SIOP.
EU Data Rights
On May 25, 2018, the European Union’s (“EU”) General Data Protection
Regulation (“GDPR”) goes into effect. In accordance with the GDPR, identifiable natural persons (“data subjects”) located within the EU must be provided with the following information:
Contact Details of Controller:
Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology 440 E. Poe Rd. #101, Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Purposes of Processing:
Recipients or categories of recipients of the personal data:
Personal data are received by our payment card service provider for the sole purposes of processing payment transactions on our Sites. Personal data is also received by our trusted third party business partners, who provide us with data and platform hosting services, by contract.
Personal Data Storage Criteria
Personal data are stored by us until such time as you contact us in writing to request that your personal data be deleted.
EU data subjects have the following data rights:
- Right to access to the personal data we have for such data subject;
- Right to rectification of incorrect personal data;
- Right to erasure of the personal data we have for such data subject;
- Right to restriction of processing concerning such data subject;
- Right to object to our processing of such personal data;
- Right to data portability, that is, a copy of the data we have on such data subject;
- Right to withdraw consent at any time to our processing of such data subject’s personal data; and
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
- You may exercise your data rights by contacting us, in writing, at the address indicated above.
Personal Data Requirement
Last Update: May 3, 2019.